Should vaccines be mandatory?

Vaccines have been around for a long time. The first vaccine was invented in 1796 to combat smallpox. Since then, many other vaccines have been developed. In 1855, Massachusetts became the first state to require vaccination before enrolling in school. Since then, many other states have created similar laws, especially for children attending school. Today, all states mandate immunizations for children to enroll in public school. However, some families are against this requirement.

There are various reasons why some people are against vaccination. The most common reason is religious beliefs, which can lead the government to give exceptions. Others refuse vaccines due to personal or philosophical reasons, such as believing that natural immunity is preferable or being concerned about putting chemicals into their children’s bodies. Safety concerns also contribute to vaccine hesitancy. Some people are influenced by media or social media reports about potential side effects, leading them to believe that vaccines may do more harm than good.

On the other side, many people believe vaccines should be mandatory. Vaccines play arn essential role in public health by not only preventing illness in individuals but also stopping the spread of viruses and avoiding epidemics. They are one of the most important advancements in health, and without them, significant health crises could have happened. This is why many support making vaccination mandatory.

In my opinion, vaccines are essential for maintaining good health, but I don’t think they should be mandatory. People should have the freedom to choose what they put into their bodies. However, vaccines should be strongly recommended, and those opposed to them should have access to educational courses about vaccines to make informed decisions about their children’s health.

Do you think vaccines should be mandatory?

Do you think vaccines are important?

Do you think children should be vaccinated before attending school?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9009899/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/history-disease-outbreaks-vaccine-timeline/requirements-research

https://leadingage.org/workforce-vaccine-mandates-state-who-who-isnt-and-how/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4869767/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job Julia!

• I think people should be able to decide if they want to get the vaccine if they want to. Some people do have their beliefs that go agaisnt it and we just have to respect their wishes. Majority vaccines are important but some aren't the most needed in life til this day.

• yes yes for the love of all things good on the earth. vaccines and immunizations are the key to a safe world and importantly our society. during the anti vaxx period many posters said that they "wished there was a less extreme virus that could build immunizations" which is A FREAKIN VACCINE many people oppose this crisis because of fear or whatever but the positives far oughtweigh the negatives

• I do not think that vaccines should be mandatory and it should be optional. I do think that if eveyone got vaccinated it would stop spread of diseases and pandemics. However, I still think that getting certain vaccinations should be a choice and not mandetory.

• I feel like it would depend on how they view vaccines, but it would be very good for people and the economy to get vaccines. But vaccines could also save peoples life from life-threatening diaseses, but over all it should be up to their decisions. 

• I agree with you that if everyone got vaccinated the overall health would improve so much because it would prevent some pandemies from happening and also the deaths because of diseases would decrease by a lot.

• I don't think that vaccines should be mandatory but I agree with you that they should be recommended for health purposes. We don't want another virus like Covid-19 happening so vaccines are important when it comes to keeping people healthy and alive. Schools shouldn't require children to be vaccinated but once again should have it recommended. 

• I think that schools are a place where diseases could spread easily because there are a lot of people and they share a lot of things. The virus could also be more dangerous for a child because sometimes they have weaker immune systems so I do think that schools should make vaccines mandatory except for certain cases where the children could react badly to vaccines or if their religion doesn't allow it.

• I personally think that vaccines are important, but I think it should be your own decision because we have the freedom and If you decide not to get it and somthing unfortunate occurs then that is your own fault for not getting it when you had the choice.

• I completely agree with you. As I said vaccines are very important but after all it is a free country so people should be able to choose what they want. But I do think that it is important that they are informed before making a choice.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker