Was the moon landing fake?

In July of 1969 one of the most monumental events in US history occured. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to land on the surface of the moon. Not long after there were many conspiracies about whether it happened or not. By the 1970s, 30% of Americans believed the moon landing was fake. William Kaysing even went so far with it that he wrote a book called 'We Never Went to the Moon: America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle'. He actually started writing it as a joke, but as he got deeper into the book he started believing in the conspiracy. The idea in his book was that the famous footage of the astronauts on the moon was actually shot in Area 51.

A very popular conspiracy is how in the photos of the moon landing you can't see any stars. Why would you not be able to see stars when you're in space? Although you would expect to see an abundance of stars, this wasn't the case. Since the missions to the moon took place during the day, which means the stars can't be seen against the bright surface of the moon, they were too dim to show up in the photos.

Although there are many conspiracies of why the moon landing was fake, there is a substantial amount of evidence to prove that it wasn't fake. The first piece of evidence is the 8400 pictures, thousands of hours of footage, lots of scientific data, and full transcripts and audio recording of air-gound communication. There are also lunar rocks that were brought back, Nasa's high resolution camera that was able to take a picture of footprints on the moon, and spacecraft from China, India, and Japan have also spotted landing sites. If this still isn't enough evidence, there is also the fact that Armstrong and Aldrin planted a lunar laser ranging retroreflector array on the surface. This equipment allows us to know the distance of the moon to Earth down to the centimeter. There's no way to be able to do this without going to the moon.

I believe that the moon landing was not faked. While there are many conspiracies saying it was faked, there is also a lot of evidence proving the conspiracies wrong. I also think that the moon landing and projects were very elaborate for it to be fake.

Do you think the moon landing was fake?

Have you heard any other conspiracies about the moon landing?

Have you ever heard a conspiracy that sounded like it had good logic behind it?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the moon landing is real but some cunspiracies make sense like the one where the flags blowing in a direcshon because of the wind but there is no wind on the moon I think that one makes some sense.

• No, I don't think the moon landing was fake, there is plenty of information and evidence out there that should prove why it isn't fake. I have heard of some conspiracies, like how the flag wasn't waving, but conspiracies like those don't have that well of logic behind them.

• I dont think the moon landing was fake. I have heard coniferous theroes of the moon landing being fake but I have never believed them. I haven't hear any of the conspiracy theories that have made me believe in any of the ideas.

• No, I do not think the moon landing was fake because we have samples from the moon that aren't found on Earth. Yes, I have heard a lot about how the moon landing was fake, most people say that the film was made in a building on Earth. Yes, I have heard of a good conspiracy, someone said that the only reason we said we went tho the moon was that Germany already made it there. 

• I don't think that the moon landing was fake because there was so much evidence that it almost shouldn't even be a conspiracy theory. I think people just like to stir things up as humans and this is what they were trying to do. Humans can convince themselves of things being not true while they knew at one point it was true.

• I agree, some people definitely were thinking of reasons it was fake just to mess around, but then ended up believing it, much like what Kaysing did when he wrote the book as a joke and then ended up fully believing it.

• I personally belaeave its not fake. THe moon landing has many many many conspericys but all of them have basically been proven not factual.There has been one conspericy that does make a little sense. The conspericy being that how come we had the technology then and cant go to the moon now, I somewhat understand it but I dont really know how to answer it.

• I don't think the moon landing was fake. There is just so much evidence proving it was real despite the conspiracies against it. I haven't really heard any  specific conspiracies but it seems like the type of thing that the people who believe also believe the earth is flat.

• I agree, both conspiracies have little logic behind them so I can see why you think they'd be the same type of people. Both conspiracies also have a lot of evidence against them, so the people who believe the conspiracies are wrong.

• No, I do not think that the moon landing was fake. There is various information and evidence supporting the fact that, yes, it happened. It was a remarkable success in U.S. history. Althought I do think is real, one of the conspiracies was that the footage of the moon landing was filmed in a studio, and that the American government staged this event. This conspirancy is not real because experts analized the evidence of the moon landing. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker