The History of Math

How did math come about? Math has been an essential part of human advancement for thousands of years. It all began with ancient people, like the Egyptians and Babylonians, who used math for necessities such as measuring land and keeping track of time, around 3000 BC. These early mathematical systems set the basis for the future and it only advances from there. As time went on, the Greeks took math even further. Brilliant mathematicians explored geometry and number theory, setting the basic concepts that we still use today. Specifically looking in on the Babylonians, they developed a system based off the number 60. They are the first ones that are known for using numbers to represent an amount.

Moving forward in time, math became more similarly compared and used with science. Mathmeticians such as Newton and others helped us further understand our world today by continuing and advancing in the research of math. They discovered the path to furthering scientific discoveries as well as leading the mathematics of our modern world into a clear path. From there, math continued to evolve and expand, with new concepts and theories being developed. Today, math plays a very important part in certain work fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It's a constantly evolving subject that continues to shape our world in ways that would not have been possible without the prior exploration.

Math is probably one of my favorite subjects just because I enjoy the puzzling, multi-step problems that make me feel very accomplished after figuring them out. For me personally, I enjoy having to figure out the formulas and steps needed to solve each problem. However, I know math is not for everyone.

Do you enjoy math?

If so, what do you like about it?

If not, what is your favorite subject?

Are you interested in a job that deals with math often?

Sources:

https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/History_overview/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't really enjoy doing math unless I know what i'm doing. My favorite subject is probably history because I usually understand what is going on. I am not really interested in a job where i have to do math because it will probably be pretty hard.

• I have never enjoied doing math, I honestly rather go to a history class or a science class then a math class. I do like that math can be apart of a real life situation and can be used all the time. There are also thing that I dont think I will ever use frome math.

• I can see where you're coming from. Sometimes people just truly don't enjoy something and that's okay.

• `I enjoy math only if I know what is going on. Like if the math is easy its fun but if I struggle with it, I hate it. My favortite subject would have to be history because I like talking about real world stuff. Yes, if I want to be a cosmotaligist the math deals with the measurments of cutting hair, measuring the amount of hair products and so on. 

• I enjoy math because no matter what, only one answer is right. In classes like English, multiple answers can be right, based on your opinion. Also, I like formulas and solving puzzles. When I'm older, I want to be an elementary teacher or a middle/high school math teacher.

• I do not like math unless, of course, I understand it. When math is hard and confusing then life is the same way. Math is my worst enemy, it's always bringing my GPA down and then I get grounded for having a terrible grade. Math is so hard to understand. I am so jealous of the people who understand it, I want their abilities. 

• I enjoy math when I undertand it, I like making equations, I don't like fractions at all, and neither do things like geometry. I think the careers I have in mind are not very related to masthematics.

• I agree, I don't love fractions either and in algebra 2 it gets a little tougher which is unfourtunate.

• I don't enjoy math but I also don't dislike it at times, I like it when I understand it and can help someone else but I don't like it when it gets hard.  My favorite subject it probably history I enjoy learning about that kind of stuff and I understand it. No, I am not because I am scared that I would mess up often and and in trouble or fired.

• I enjoy math some days I like some of our teachers who know how to teach and I like the fact that we get to use formulas and apply them to everyday things. I think that Geometry is not my favorite but I think that there are a lot of things that I learned in there and can apply.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker