South korea took a step forward improving the ties with their traditional rival japan on monday, announcing a plan     to compensate Koreans who performed forced labor during Tokyo’s colonial rule that doesn’t require Japanese companies to contribute to the reparations. 

The plan reflects conservative President Yoon Suk Yeol’s push to mend frayed ties with japan and solidify security cooperation among Seoul, Tokyo and Washington to better cope with North Korea’s nuclear threats. President Joe Biden quickly hailed it as “a groundbreaking new chapter” of cooperation between two of the United States’ closest allies. The South Korean plan, which relies on money raised in South Korea, drew immediate, domestic backlash from former forced laborers and their supporters. They’ve demanded direct compensation from the Japanese companies and a fresh apology from the Japanese government.

Ties between Seoul and Tokyo have long been complicated by grievances related to Japan’s brutal rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945, when hundreds of thousands of Koreans were mobilized as forced laborers for Japanese companies, or sex slaves at Tokyo’s military-run brothels during World War II.

Many forced laborers are already dead and survivors are in their 90s. Among the 15 victims involved in 2018 South Korean court rulings that ordered two Japanese companies — Nippon Steel and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries — to compensate them, only three are still alive and they are all in their 90s.

Do you think this is a good idea?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Austin,

Much of this has been plagiearized.

• I think this is a good idea but it would take a lot of time and effort into making a truce so that we may not see a lot of changes happening right now. However, I like that they are finally taking a step towards peace and keeping their people out of the harm's of war.

• I think this is an amazing idea. It would be very beneficial to have a truce with another country because it would prevent wars with them and it would be fewer enemies for the U.S. We could also rely on them for help if there is a war with another country. I'm sure it would also make U.S. citizens feel a lot safer.

• I believe that his is a very good idea. Any time that you can make peace with another country, I think is a good idea. No one wants to have a bunch of enemies it would be nice for them to have another person to rely on.

• I think this is a great idea. Having a truce with another country is huge. Resolving such a problem back then is beneficial for both countries. South Korea has been changing a lot in recent years I have noticed. They are becoming better between other countries.

• I belive it would be better to make peace with each other insted of fighting because it will just cause harm. Getting along and making amends is a great idea for them and korea making meands with countrys and being more friendly is great.

• I think it is a very good idea to make amends with a country where we have not always had a good past. It will be a good idea to not have any enemies just for the US safety. I think it will be good for both countries and their economies.  I think that doing this will have more positives than negatives.

• I think this is a good idea. I feel that them trying to mend their feud is abviously good.  Any country that is trying to get on good terms with another is good for both countries people. Good topic! Japan owes this to korea big time. 

• I think any mending between countries in todays society is good for the overall relationship between countries. I do believe Japan owes at least this for Korea. I don't think another war is needed, especially while Biden is in office.

• I think that South Korea negotiating and improving its bonds with other countries is a good thing. It will be good for both countries and boost the economy. I personally see more benefits in this situation than not. So I think it's a good thing. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker