Should College Athletes get Paid?

The NCAA regulates college athletics and ultimately decides whether the athletes get paid or not. Within the last few years, people started to question if the NCAA was being unconstitutional by not allowing athletes to get paid. Many say it's not right because colleges are making so much money off their athletics and the athletes actually participating in the matter aren't getting any type of compensation. So the US Supreme Court had a case on whether or not these athletes should get paid. Ultimately, on June 21, 2021, the Supreme court decided that the NCAA cannot ban certain types of payments. California was the first state to pass an NIL law, followed by many other states.

Over the last few years of this debate there are two major opinions. Some people think that getting your eduction paid for is enough compensation for the college athletes. Along with this there aren't many collegiate athletes that move onto professional sports. Because of this, people believe that athletes should be utilising there scholarships and eductions, instead of focusing more on their sport and making money. 

The other side to this argument is that they don't have time for jobs and since being an athlete is like having a full-time job. So then they should be compensated for all their hard work and dedication. Along with this, colleges make an extreme amount of money from the likeness of these players. Another argument to why these athletes should get paid is because they often live below the poverty line, along with their families. This money could really be important to these players that don't have time to get other income.

Personally, I believe that collegiate players should get some sort of compensation, but there should be a limit or cap on how much they're making. For many athletes it would be extremely beneficial. On the otherside they can't get too much because then when they have to get a different job they are not going to have the best money managment skills. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

Why or why not should they get paid?

How much do you think they should get paid and do you think their scholarships should be considered with it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that they should get paid because sports can take so much time out of the day and don't have time for their jobs. I think that should still get paid but not as much if their scholarship is being paid for by the college or sports team that they are playing for.  

• I do not think they should have to be paided as a lot of athleates are on scohlorships for the school so they are rreciving their education for free to play sports. If your getting paid i do not thinl you should get a scholorship as youd be able to use th eoney to pay for your education.

• I believe that yes scholarships should be consider, but no they are not enough payment. I feel every athlete should get paid a certain amount, so they can buy themselves essential things.

• I think college athletes should get paid because college sports take up so much time out of everyday. I feel that there is no time left for athletes outside of sports to make enough money and even get any job experience. Utimitaly I think that college athletes should be paid.

• I don't think college athletes should get paid. They can make money off of collaborations with other businesses.

• I disagree with you because what if someone can't get a deal? I feel like if someone is working just as hard and giving all their time, they should get compensated, just like others.

• I don't think college athletes should get payed, but I also am not 100% against the idea. I think they shouldn't be payed by colleges because they are already "being payed" because of scholarship money, but I also think that they should be able to profit off of different brand deals and sponsorships. I think if they are getting payed the cap should be 200K, because there are some football players like Shedeur Sanders who will lose money by declaring for the draft because he is making 4.5 million dollars a year in NIL deals.

• Yeah, I agree with you. College athletes are already getting their school paid for, but should still get some profit. I also believe there should be a cap, but I'm not too sure what it should be. 

• I think that these athletes should get paid for they put in all their time and dedication, they set their whole life aside just to focus on their college sport. I think that the colleges should each have different amounts depending on the cost of living in the area. 

• I think that college athletes should get paid. I think that they need to get enough money that is equivalent to a lower to average paying job, because they do not have time to work, to earn money. These students spend lots of time and money on these sports so I think that they should be paid.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker