JFK Assassination: Tragedy or Conspiracy?

John F. Kennedy, a former US Senator from Massachusetts, was elected the 35th President of the United States alongside Vice President Lyndon. B Johnson. In his first term as President, Kennedy saw the height of the Cold War, countered foreign policy and communism, and de-escalated the Cuban Missile Crisis. After four successful years in office, Kennedy began preparing for his second presidential campaign in the fall of 1963.

Throughout the next several weeks, JFK traveled the United States and attended political planning sessions and Democratic gatherings. During that time, tension had been building among the Democratic party in Texas. JFK made plans to speak in Texas to unite political leaders and as a result, win the majority of votes from the state. Kennedy also viewed this visit as an informal launch of his reelection campaign. 

Kennedy arrived in Texas on the morning of November 22, 1963. Upon arrival, Kennedy was greeted by thousands of well-wishers and spent several minutes shaking hands. JFK and his wife, Jacqueline Kennedy, were then whisked away to an open convertible which they shared with Texas Governor John Connally and his wife. The convertible left the airport and traveled through downtown Dallas to where the President was scheduled to speak at a luncheon later that day. However, the President never made it to that luncheon. 

As the convertible was passing by the Texas School Book Depository in the plaza, gunfire erupted. Bullets struck the President’s neck and head and he slumped over towards Mrs. Kennedy. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, but unfortunately, little could be done to save him due to the extent of his injuries. Police later arrested Lee Harvey Oswald, an employee at the Texas School Book Depository, for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. 

On that fateful day in 1963, JFK became the fourth US president to be assassinated while in office. In the weeks following his death, controversy troubled the nation. Panic ensued throughout the country and many conspiracy theories from the public were widely spread. For instance, many believed that the shooting was a disguised mob hit as the Kennedys were no stranger to organized crime. Other conspiracies dabbled in government involvement and accomplices to Lee Harvey Oswald. JFK’s assassination continues to fascinate future generations and is the subject of many films, books, and historical documentaries. 

Why do you think JFK's story continues to fascinate people nearly 60 years later?

Do you think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone? 

How would America be different had JFK not been assassinated?

Wikipedia - JFK Assassination Timeline

Town&Countrymag.com - JFK Conspiracy

Wikipedia - JFK Assassination

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree. Unsolved mysteries often catch the attention of viewers for longer periods. It's hard to determine whether Oswald acted alone, but little evidence has proven he did. 

• I think that there is definely a possibility of this being a set up act. I was actually considering doing my forum post on this. I think that the world may have taken different approaches to conflicts if JFK had not been assasinated. I beleive that Lee Harvey Oswald did in fact act alone. 

• I agree. If this was a set-up for the President, I can't imagine the planning and thought that would have to go into it. I also think it's extremely difficult for him to have done this alone, but little evidence has supported that he didn't. 

• I think that everyone is still fascinated by his assassination because he is the most recent presidential assassination victim. I think that Lee Harvey Oswald acted with at least one person to at least set up the assassination but I don't think he acted as a disguised mob hit. I think that America would have been different if President John F. Kennedy had been in office longer than he would have made it to the luncheon and he would have the tension that had been building come down a lot.

• I completely agree. We're more likely to remember and investigate his assassination because it is the most recent and shocked the entire nation. .

• I think that everyone keeps talking about him because he is the most recent presidential assassination victim. I think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I think America would be different but I don't know how different.

• I totally agree. JFK had a lot of big plans for the United States, it would be interesting to see how his ideas would've been accepted and still working today. 

• bump

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker