How is Pollution Affecting our Ocean?

Pollution is the introduction of harmful materials into the environment and is usually created by human activity. Each year, more and more pollution is being created and more and more is going into the ocean, affecting the wildlife. Studies estimate that there are now 51 trillion pieces of plastic in the worlds’ oceans and not one square mile of surface ocean anywhere is free of plastic pollution.

Right now, animals are struggling to live in a clean environment due to the amount of pollution in the ocean. Due to the number of plastics in the ocean, the most common way for oceanic animals to die is suffocation, starvation, and drowning. A lot of animals are ingesting the pollution in our oceans which is why these deaths are so common. Plastic straws are being caught in turtles’ noses, fish are suffocating in plastic bags, seagulls are getting caught in plastic pop rings, and whales are eating our plastic pollution. 

According to EPA, every single bit of plastic to be produced, still exsists today in our world because of how quick humans are to consumption. Pollution has such a big toll on wildlife that over 24,000 tons of plastic is being injested by fish in the North Pacific alone, which not only affects the animals in our ocean, but also us humans who rely on fish to eat in our foodchain. A lot of animals including seaturtles mistake plastic for food because of it's smell which causes them to either choke, or starve thinking they are eating food, but it's plastic. Hundreds of thousands of seabirds injest plastic every year. That means that of all of the seabirds in our world today, 60% of them have all eaten plastic and by 2050, 99% of all seabirds will have eaten plastic at some point in time. 

Sources:

https://sentientmedia.org/ocean-pollution/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/ocean_plastics/ 

Questions:

Does your family use plastic straws, plates, bowls, ect? If you do use any of the following, will you continue to use them after reading this?

Would you be willing to donate your own money to a charity to help these animals?

Why do you think there is so much pollution in our oceans?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My family doesn't use plastic straws, plates, bowls everyday but we don't refuse to use them if a situtation comes up that would be easier if we used them. I will definitely contiune how I have been. I would donate to charities to help those animals. 

• If we aren't using dishes then my family mostly uses paper products. I definetly use plastic forks and straws at places like the mall. I don't think I would donate money becuase that money could be speant on other charitees. Instead of paying money for trash clearing there are many things that people could do for free to solve this problem.

• My family doesn't use plastic, plates or bowls very often, when we are not using glass dishware we are using paper. We usually only use plastic silverware during birthday parties or if all of our washable silverware is dirty. I don't think that I would donate to a charity for this cause, I know other charities that I would probably donate to first.

• My family does use plastic plates but we don't throw them away in the ocean. I will donate money because animals has a lot of feelings just like humans and animals are getting killed mostly by us. Because people are so careless about nothing that lives in the ocean they need to learn on taking their trash to garbage excempt on damaging wildlife.

• My family only uses plastic bowls, plates, and forks/spoons when we have a brithday party or other things like that. Otherwise we usually use glass. I wouldn't donate my money to this because I think there are bigger problems and I donate to things that I think are more important.

• My family uses plastic utensils sometimes. We usually try to use the cardboard type plate when we want to use something other than glass. I probably wouldn't donate because I don't like donating unless I know my money is actually going to help the animals. 

• No, my family doesn't usually use many plastic things, and if we do it's not often. I already try to avoid using plastic, but now I definetely will try to avoid it. If I had more money, I would maybe donate to a charity, but I already do not have much of my own money.

• My family does not use any plastic straws, plates, bowls, I do not think that I would donate any money to help. The reason I think that there's so much pollution in our oceans is because people are lazy and don't want to responsibly discard their trash so they just throw it anywhere when they're done.

• My family uses plastic straws, silverware paper plates, and bowls if we are eating outside by the pool or won't have time to do the dishes. I think it is cool that they are doing a fundraiser for the animals but I will not donate. I think there are solutions in the oceans because people don't care about the animals. 

• my familys busniess uses plastic straws and contaners. almost definatly because of the pricesses of mettale straws. no i dont make enough to donate money. i think there is so much because of the garbage fills and sewage pumps pushing our wast into the otion plus the oil rigs.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker