Did Helen Keller really fly a plane?

Helen Keller is a historical figure who was found to be blind and deaf at a young age. As she grew up, she learned to cope with her disabilities, and eventually recieved her doctorate, wrote six books, and some say she flew a plane. Some people however, think that it's all just a hoax. 

Helen Keller was born on June 27, 1880, and when she was just over a year old, she was sick with Scarlet fever which left her blind and deaf. The doctor that diagnosed her also sent her a teacher named Anne Sullivan to teach her how to speak and understand what people say. Anne stayed with her for the rest of Helen's life. Helen learned how to read braile and to understand people tracing letters on her hands. Eventually, she learned how to "lip read" by putting her fingers on people lips while they spoke to her and a hand on their throats to feel them talk. 

In 1904, she graduated from Radcliff college and was the first deafblindness to earn a degree with a bachelor's degree of arts. When she was 23 years old, she wrote her first book. It was about being blind, which was not very common for people to learn about back then. After that, she went on to write five more books about her faith and the stories of her life. In June of 1946, Helen flew an airplane from Rome to Paris over the Mediterranian Sea for twenty minutes. This was very unsual becuase not only was she blind and deaf, but women rarely used airplanes to travel, much less to fly them. She had only ever ridden as a passenger once in her life, but still had the courage to get in the cockpit and fly the plane. 

I personally think that Helen Keller was real becuase there are pictures and eye witnesses to confirm what has been said. I think it is very unusual for a blind and deaf person to achieve all of the acomplishments Helen Keller did, but not impossible. Some people also have conspiracies that she was never real, because there is no way any of these things could happen back then. 

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Anne-Sullivan

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-did-helen-keller-fly-a-plane

https://sites.aph.org/hall/inductees/keller/

Do you think Helen Keller was real?

Do you think she really did all these things?

What would you do if you were blind and deaf? Would you strive as much as Helen Keller?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think she did. She was blind and deaf they can barley live by themselves let alone fly a plane. I don't belive the things she did I think someone else wrote the book for her 

• no i think this is a fictional character someone made up to help those who are impared. no i dont think she did any of the things it says she has done like writing abook while blind how are you guna see your hand writing or make sure it in the lines and spelled correctly. and how would she be ably to navigate in the sky and how would she know what bottans to press to open and close the landing gear or read the gas meater or see birds or the radair.

• I think Helen Keller was real but I think people made us some of the things she did or that she was blind and deaf. I don't think she did all the things people say she has done, but if she did do all of that it is impressive. I don't think I would be able to do what she did.

• I really don't belive that Helen Keller actually flew a plane. It seems so crazy. I do belive that she is real. I just feel like some of her major acomplishments are not real! If I were blind and deaf, I could not possible do the "things" Helen Keller did.

• I agree with you, I don't think she actually flew a plane because it takes pilots years of training to fly planes, and she "did" with no sight or hearing. 

• I feel like she was a real person, but all the stuff and things she "accomplished," seemed unrealistic. I don't believe she flew a plan, that just doesn't seem real. I don't know who would ever let a blind person fly a plane. If I was blind and deaf I'd stay at home and enjoy my life to the best I can. 

• I agree, I think that it's very unrealistic for someone who doesn't have two of the most important senses to accomplish all of these things. 

• Her story seems so outrageous and impossible that it just might be true. It is so incredibly difficult to imagine how she was able to do all that she did, I know I couldn't. As a blind and deaf person, I would find it very difficult to find the motivation and strength to understand all that it took to overcome the challenges she faced. 

• I agree, I think her story is so crazy, but is true. I do think, however, that she did not do what has been said. I think it would be so incredibly difficult for someone with her ability to these things. 

• If I were blind and deaf obviously I would look for a way in which I could communicate and understand people, find activities that I could do without any risk. Definitely I would strive as much as her.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker