Are e- cigarettes less harmful than smoking?

E- ciggerettes also known as JUULS use a battery to heat up a special liquid into an aerosol that users inhale. The juice that fills up the pod usually contains nicotine which comes from many chemicals. These claim to have no nicotine in them, but yet there are many traces to their being nicotine in them. These we first introduced in 2003 by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik. In 2004 with the help of chinese inverstors this product was introduced to the Chinese market. This then became apart of the United States market in the mid 2000'S and by 2010 additional brands like this appered in the market as well.

The popularity has risen since 2007 as they are advertised through ads on TV's, computers, phones and other places.  More often celebrities are often in the ads which has contributed to a large increase in sales by both adults and teens. In 2013 over 13.1 million teens/kids knew about e- ciggerettes. These trends have lead to many concerns by many people such as the government, teachers, and parents. They are concerned about teens getting addicted to nicotine and how they can help prevent this from happening. Many places like schools and other school sponsered places dont allow smoking or vaping on the property of all ages. 

They are trying to make it harder for teens to be able to get e- ciggerettes by setting the age limit to 21 and ID everyone who wants to buy one. There are many place that don't allow smoking on the propery like schools. The government also encourages parents to talk to their teens about vaping and the health concerns it has. Some parents don't smoke or vape as an example for their kids and ensure their school district has a tobacco free policy. 

Many of these procausions are making it harder for teens to be able to vape. I believe even though it didn't directly say they are more harmful they are. Nothing is safe about putting chemicals in your lungs. I think many kids think vaping is bad  but get peer preasured to vape. I think kids should stick up for what they believe in and not do dumb things because eventually those things will have negitive affects. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538684/#:~:text=The%20product%20gained%20some%20attention,2013)

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/takeaction.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think e-cigarettes are more harmful considering the amount of chemicals with in it, and while regular cigarettes also have chemicals like nicotine but e-cigarettes have a lot more and also slow brain function for adolescents.

• I believe that e-cigarettes are less harmful than normal cigarettes because they have fewer toxins. However, both choices are addicting and can harm your health long-term. I think vapes are better than cigarettes because of less chemicals; but can still be dangerous because of the negative side-effects when becoming dependent on it. 

• I think that they are both really bad for you and it's hard to choose which out of the two are worse. They both are very addicting to people and have many harmful substances. If I had to choose, I would say that e-cigarettes are more harmful because many underage people are getting addicted to it.

• I don't think that they are less harmful, I think they are much more harmful than smoking normal ciggarettes. Especially since it has been proved that E-cigaretts contain more nicotine and can be much more addictive than normal ciggarettes, especially since they have different flavors and such.

• I think that e-cigarettes are less harmful but will still effect you in the same way just at a different pace then cigarettes because ur still putting smoke and nicotine in to ur lungs. 

•  I do think that some brands of vapes can be more harmful than some brands of ciggrettes. Now with thst being said i do feel like since smoking can be a direct intake of smoking unlike where in vaping which is still harmful you can bloow it out instead of in.

• i mean it doesnt really matter if they are or arnt people wouldnt care. if they have already put the substince in there body whats the point in stoping to they. even if they know its harmfull they wont stop. but the information thats provided is good.

• I think any cigarettes are bad for you but personally, I think cigarettes are worse than regular ones because of all the chemicals that are in the e-cigarettes. I don't think people should be smoking any cigarettes but it they do I think they should smoke real cigarettes because then they know what they are getting there self into.

• I think they are both equally harmful to a person. They both can hurt a person long-term and also harm the people around them with second-hand smoke inhalation. I don't know why anybody would want to put smoke in their lungs and be happy about it. 

• I Believe that anything a person can inhale that involves any nicotine or tobacco at all is very bad and very harmful a someone. In healing something that is not natural for you is bad and can cause lung cancer or lung failure.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker