What Really Happened to Amelia Earhart?

The death of Amelia Earhart is a known conspiracy theory, some think that she crashed into a remote part of the Pacific Ocean. But is that what really happened? July 2, 1937 Amelia Earhart attempted her dreams of being the first female to fly around the world. But that dream never came true for her while on her flight from Howland Island too Lae, New Guinea, she crashed  along with her navigator Fred Noonan. Supposedly, it was because their plane ran out of fuel and crashed and sank, which was not really unusual for pilots to disappear back in the time.

The interesting fact about this is that this  is not the only theory. There is a theory that she and her navigator got off course and they crossed paths with Marshal Island which was under Japanese control at the time. Some believe the Japanese forces shot down their aircraft because they thought Amelia Earhart's plane was an American spy. And they landed safely on the island and the Japanese took them as prisoners until they eventually executed them.

Another theory is that Earhart was not only a pilot but a spy for the US government. While on her time traveling the world some believe she made stops which collected info for the US government. There is a Conspiracy theory that the current president Franklin Roosevelt thought Earhart was the perfect candidate for investigating possible Japanese threat but there is no actual proof of this theory. Fun fact it took nearly 2 years to declare Amelia Earhart's death,  what do you believe happened to Earhart?

Which theory do you believe in and why?

Why do you think it took so long for them to declare her dead?

britannica.com/story/the-disappearance-of-amelia-earhart#:~:text=Earhart%20was%20officially%20declared%20dead,the%20crash%20is%20still%20unclear.

history.com/topics/exploration/amelia-earhart

https://pioneersofflight.si.edu/content/amelia-earhart-and-fred-noonan-disappear-round-world-flight#:~:text=On%20May%2021%2C%201937%2C%20Amelia,days%20and%20covered%2022%2C000%20miles

youtube.com/watch?v=K81uELvvizo

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't believe that they would send the first female pilot to her own death, i believe that her plane did run out of fuel and crashed. It was the most sane answer back then and it is the most sane answer now. It makes perfect sense though it is sad becuase i feel they could've prepared more.

• I think her death was just as they said. Her plane ran out of fuel and they crashed which ended up with her and her partner dying. I do not think it is weird because as you said it was very common back then.

• Going with the first theory, her plane running out of fuel and crashing to the Pacific Ocean, I can imagine it took them some time to find her and declare her dead. I would think without the resources we have today, it would take a while to find someone if they disappeared in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. 

• The theory I believe most is the theory of her plane running out of fuel. I believe this theory the most as it is the most logical, knowing that is wasn't uncommon for pilots to disappear this way. This makes sense as they did not have the technolgy we have today.  

• What theory do you believe in and why. I believe in the first theory. The reason I picked this one is that It would make the most sense. since back then the fuel  gages could have malfunctioned or it didnt have one wich could mean they didnt put enogh in for the next place or forgot to put any in at all.

• What theory do you believe in and why. I believe in the first theory. I think it makes the most sense to me. I think she was just trying to be the first female to fly around the world and he plane simply ran out of fuel. They must have missed couculated on the amout of fuel they needed to get to the next stop and she ended up crashing and sinking.

• I think that her plane ran out of fuel or had a problem while she was in air and she had crashed and died into the ocean. I believe that it took them a while to announce her dead becasue a lot of people wanted her to be alive and listen to her story. 

• Do you think it's possible she may have "dissappeared" on purpose? It may sound odd but from further observation perhaps she was possibly trying to not be found. I feel like its worth a lot more investigation. others have suggested the government tried to get rid of her to demote womens rights. How much credit would you give to these theories. 

• I beleive that she just crashed becuase of some malfunction of the plane like fuel or the engine. I also believe that it would take a long time to declare a missing person dead becuase she could have been anywhere in the world because of the challenge she was attempting. 

• I think that she ran out of fuel and crashed. It was not unusual for this to happen to pilots. We barely knew anything about planes and air travel for a long period, so I feel like in is not crazy that something happened to go wrong. I think it took a long time for them to declare her dead because how would they know if they were dead or lost. There was little communication and no eyewitnesses, so they waited for her to return.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker