What Really Happened to Amelia Earhart?

The death of Amelia Earhart is a known conspiracy theory, some think that she crashed into a remote part of the Pacific Ocean. But is that what really happened? July 2, 1937 Amelia Earhart attempted her dreams of being the first female to fly around the world. But that dream never came true for her while on her flight from Howland Island too Lae, New Guinea, she crashed  along with her navigator Fred Noonan. Supposedly, it was because their plane ran out of fuel and crashed and sank, which was not really unusual for pilots to disappear back in the time.

The interesting fact about this is that this  is not the only theory. There is a theory that she and her navigator got off course and they crossed paths with Marshal Island which was under Japanese control at the time. Some believe the Japanese forces shot down their aircraft because they thought Amelia Earhart's plane was an American spy. And they landed safely on the island and the Japanese took them as prisoners until they eventually executed them.

Another theory is that Earhart was not only a pilot but a spy for the US government. While on her time traveling the world some believe she made stops which collected info for the US government. There is a Conspiracy theory that the current president Franklin Roosevelt thought Earhart was the perfect candidate for investigating possible Japanese threat but there is no actual proof of this theory. Fun fact it took nearly 2 years to declare Amelia Earhart's death,  what do you believe happened to Earhart?

Which theory do you believe in and why?

Why do you think it took so long for them to declare her dead?

britannica.com/story/the-disappearance-of-amelia-earhart#:~:text=Earhart%20was%20officially%20declared%20dead,the%20crash%20is%20still%20unclear.

history.com/topics/exploration/amelia-earhart

https://pioneersofflight.si.edu/content/amelia-earhart-and-fred-noonan-disappear-round-world-flight#:~:text=On%20May%2021%2C%201937%2C%20Amelia,days%20and%20covered%2022%2C000%20miles

youtube.com/watch?v=K81uELvvizo

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and summary Abbie! The issue is you only replied to student comments three times. You should have had around nine on three different days. I would also have liked to see what you thought happened in your summary.

• There is a lot of conspiracy theories on what could have a had happened to Amelia Earhart while she was trying to go around the world. There has been thoughts that she ran out of gas, landed on an island and eaten by crabs, got captured, and a lot more. Because they were trying to see if they could find the plane.

• I believe that Amelia Earhart's plane ran out of fuel and crashed in the Pacific ocean. Because of where the location was they were not able to track her or find her plane. I think that there would need to be more proof on the other conspiracies for them to be believed.

• For now I believe that Amelia's plane ran out of gas and they crashed and sank in the ocean. I say this because I need more proof about the other two conspiracies to change my mind. It must've taken them a while to declare her death because she was traveling around the whole world and they didn't find her body or her plane. 

• I belive that there could have been a malfunction in the plane, causing her to crash and loosing her life. They may have been making sure there answers/ data was correct, there also may have never been enough data.

• I belive that Amelia plan ran out of fuel, which caused her to end up  in the Pacific Ocean to unfortunately pass away. I predict that they were not able to reach anyone because of where they landed.

• I belive that Amelia Earheart's plane ran out of fuel and plumeteed into the ocean, due to her tracking being off they still have no idea to this day where she is.

• I think that her plane ran out of fuel which led her to have her plane sink to the bottem of the ocean. If her navigator died no one would of know where she crashed but him. I think that is why it took them 2 years to rule them dead.

• I think her plane ran out of fuel and sank to the bottom of the ocean. If her navigator died also then no one else would know that she even crashed but him. That is probably why it took two years to claim that they were both dead. If it was also really uncommon then know one would think that would have happened to her so they didn't go looking for her after finally realizing she has been gone for two years.

• I personally think it took a long time to declare her dead because of the evidence and the lack of proof. And with the theories about her death made it hard for authorties to confirm it. Also the hope of people saying that she might still be alive and efforts of searching for her delayed anouncing her dead. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker