Should Russia and Ukraine sign a treaty?

In April 2021 Russia started military practices on the Ukraine border raising concerns inside of Ukraine. In September Ukraine’s president Zelenskyy talked to NATO attempting to get membership. On February 24th of the next year President of Russia Vladimir Putin talked about Ukraine’s government being run by other countries before invading the next day. America, the EU, and the UK condemned Russia’s invasion of Ukraine that same day. From then the war has stretched on for over two years and has taken 35,000 lives this year alone.

Recently, on September 10th this year Ukraine attacked Moscow with 144 drones hitting residential buildings and halting all flights in key Moscow airports. At least one person was killed in this attack. Most of this war has been fought by drones and Ukraine’s attack on Moscow was their biggest drone attack on Russia. The death that came from this attack was to a normal Russian citizen who was in their apartment when it was hit. The Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said “ There is no way that nighttime strikes on residential neighborhoods can be associated with military action.” NATO has not allowed Ukraine to use any of the weapons sent to them on Russian territory to prevent Russia from attempting to attack them. I think an agreement should be reached as soon as possible because I don't see the war being able to end soon at all. The war has taken a lot of civilian lives and wasting soliders on a war that won't make any progress seems inhumane. If no deal is reached I believe NATO should send in more support for Ukraine so they can continue to survive.

Do you believe Russia and Ukraine should come up with a treaty to end the war?

Should attacks on residential areas be considered okay as an act of war?

Should NATO do more to help Ukraine in this war?

https://www.voanews.com/a/russia-s-invasion-of-ukraine-fighting-intensifies-in-2023-war-of-attrition-/7409705.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1293492/ukraine-war-casualties/#:~:text=Number%20of%20civilian%20casualties%20during%20the%20war%20in%20Ukraine%202022%2D2024&text=The%20Office%20of%20the%20United,reported%20to%20have%20been%20injured.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-destroys-ukraine-launched-drone-flying-towards-moscow-mayor-says-2024-09-09/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice but it is a very difficult topic to discuss with two paragrpahs. Expand a bit more. Explain the situation more. The bigger issue was that you didn't reply to any student comments which is worth 30 points. Posted a bit late.

• Yes, I do believe that all this fighting should be stopped and all we need is for them sign a peace treaty. I don't htink its okay becasue they did nothing wrong and are just tying to live their lifes happily ever affter

• Yes, I believe that there should be a treaty signed. Lots of people are losing their lives frequently and many families and homes have been broken up. Each day land is being destroyed. I think their war needs to stop and they need to finally come together and set their differences aside for the better.

• Yes I think that they should sign a treaty because people are dying everyday that shouldnt be. I think the attacks on residentials should be a war crime and high frowned appon. I also think the NATO shouldn't get involved because urkaine is in it and would cost all of the countires billions of dollars. 

• I agree that this war is going on with no purpose and should end so innocent people can stop dying. Attacks on residential areas where innocent people live should not be allowed as an act of war and Russia and Ukraine should sign a treaty to end this bloodsheading war. 

• I think having a peace treaty would help save lives and familys. Getting other countrys or NATO involved can make this situation worse than it already is. They have caused a lot of distruction along with money wasted and lives lost.

• I think that they should sign a treaty because lots of people are losing their lives and lots of land is being destroyed because of the fighting. I think that Russia and Ukraine should set their differences aside and think about the consequences of their actions.

• I think that they should sign a treaty because as you said multiply lives has been taken away from this war and has left everyone traumatized because what the war has been doing where they live, and with this treaty it could potentially save many lives. 

• I do think that russia and ukriane should sign  peace treaty because many inoccent people are dying in ukraine for no reason, it will also save ths US money due to the fact that we send money to ukraine to aid them in the war. the damages will cost way less if they sign the treaty.

• Do you believe Russia and Ukraine should come up with a treaty to end the war. I believe they should create and sighn a treaty to end the war. I think it would stop the two countries from continuing to battle head to head. I think if they continue to battle I think we should stop sending troops and members of the military to Ukraine becuase we have spent so much money and lost alot of U.S lives that it is not worth it 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker