Is Homework Beneficial?

The word “homework” dates back to ancient Rome and we are unsure who invented it. Pliny The Younger (a Roman author and administrator) had his followers practice their speeches at home. Homework continued as memorization exercises throughout the Middle Ages and Enlightenment by monks and scholars. In the 19th century, German students of the Volksschulenwere given assignments to complete outside of the school day. This concept of homework then quickly spread across Europe and was brought to the United States by Horace Mann. 

Studies have shown that homework has enhanced student achievement in terms of improved grades, test results and the probability to attend college. Research published in the High School Journal indicated that students who spent around 30 to 90 minutes a day on homework scored about 40 points higher on the SAT-Mathematics subtest than other students that spent no time on homework. Homework helps to strengthen classroom learning while also developing good study habits and life skills. Students usually only retain about half of the info that teachers provide in class so homework can help to remember/obtain more knowledge. These assignments can also provide valuable information for teachers to see how well the students know the curriculum. 

Some people think that too much homework can be harmful to our bodies and minds. High achieving highschool students said that too much homework can lead to less sleep, headaches, exhaustion, weight loss, stomach pains and other health related problems. A poll of California high school students showed that 59% of students thought they had too much homework and 82% of respondents said that they were "often or always stressed by homework." Emmy Kang, a mental health counselor, explained, "More than half of students say that homework is their primary source of stress." This shows how much homework can affect someone just through feeling stressed. Too much homework can also lead to students cheating off of each other, 90% of middle school students and 67% of highschool students admit to copying another person's homework. 

Personally, homework is helpful for scoring higher on tests and paying more attention in class. It's not always fun but it helps as a way of studying to remember important info. It may be stressful at moments but without homework people could choose not to always pay attention in class. 

Do you think homework is beneficial? Why or why not?

Do you think we should have homework? Why or why not?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/homework-pros-cons-procon-org/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Pliny-the-Younger

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Excellent topic choice and great summary Charlotte! I do think you could have replied back a few more times. Be sure to chack back Thursday afternoon or evening.

• i believe it could be used benneficially if students were not completely bombarded with classes and extra curricular activities while maintaining a part time job.

• I think that homework is benefical. Its extra practice and focus for students on certain learning topics. Its how you know they are really learning something rather than just not paying attention and failing tests. It could put stress if teachers give out to much though when kids are struggling and falling behind.

• I think homework is not beneficial unless people are struggling to comprehend what they are learning. There are many reasons on both sides but some are that people don't have time and it puts stress on people but it also helps people with the concepts. 

• i believe that homework is benifical. all it is, is extra practice for students so that they understand there work and test in school better. On the other hand i believe that teachers can alway improve class room productivity.

• I believe that homework is beneficial, if it reviews and practices what subject they were talking about. Homework shouldn't be used for teachers to get some time to thereseleves it should be helping the students expand more on that subject, so I think we should have homework also long as it help students acedemic scores.

• I belive that homework is beneficial because it helps students practus and learn the subject but i do belive that some teachers asign busy work for students because they dont want to teach and that can be really stressful because students already have alot going on and they dont need all this busy work making it harder on them.

• I believe homework is beneficial because it prepares students for tests, keeps them organized and helps with time management. I do think that there should be a limit to homework because if there is too much then it can be stressful. 

• Do you think homework is beneficial? I belive to a certain degree homework can be beneficial. I think that occasional homework, maybe once a week, can increase studnents grades and their understanding of the curriculum. However homework everyday can be draining for students, they can also have lack of sleep because they are up late doing assignments. This would lead to students doing poorly in school. So therefor in the long run i belive extensive homework does more harm than good. 

• I dont think homework is beneficial as a lot of the time everyone is busy with something and then you get home and have to do homework. While most people can get the homework done it may not be the easiest for everyone and may cause problems in school from lack of sleep.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker