Is Homework Beneficial?

The word “homework” dates back to ancient Rome and we are unsure who invented it. Pliny The Younger (a Roman author and administrator) had his followers practice their speeches at home. Homework continued as memorization exercises throughout the Middle Ages and Enlightenment by monks and scholars. In the 19th century, German students of the Volksschulenwere given assignments to complete outside of the school day. This concept of homework then quickly spread across Europe and was brought to the United States by Horace Mann. 

Studies have shown that homework has enhanced student achievement in terms of improved grades, test results and the probability to attend college. Research published in the High School Journal indicated that students who spent around 30 to 90 minutes a day on homework scored about 40 points higher on the SAT-Mathematics subtest than other students that spent no time on homework. Homework helps to strengthen classroom learning while also developing good study habits and life skills. Students usually only retain about half of the info that teachers provide in class so homework can help to remember/obtain more knowledge. These assignments can also provide valuable information for teachers to see how well the students know the curriculum. 

Some people think that too much homework can be harmful to our bodies and minds. High achieving highschool students said that too much homework can lead to less sleep, headaches, exhaustion, weight loss, stomach pains and other health related problems. A poll of California high school students showed that 59% of students thought they had too much homework and 82% of respondents said that they were "often or always stressed by homework." Emmy Kang, a mental health counselor, explained, "More than half of students say that homework is their primary source of stress." This shows how much homework can affect someone just through feeling stressed. Too much homework can also lead to students cheating off of each other, 90% of middle school students and 67% of highschool students admit to copying another person's homework. 

Personally, homework is helpful for scoring higher on tests and paying more attention in class. It's not always fun but it helps as a way of studying to remember important info. It may be stressful at moments but without homework people could choose not to always pay attention in class. 

Do you think homework is beneficial? Why or why not?

Do you think we should have homework? Why or why not?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/homework-pros-cons-procon-org/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Pliny-the-Younger

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Worrying about school work sucks, but I agree that homework helps to learn and study more to get better grades. 

• In most cases I believe homework is benefical. I believe this as it gives students a chance to put what they learned in class to real situations and problems. Although, sometimes I do think teachers make homework nonbenefical by assigning too much, or not giving them materials or education they need to complete the homework. 

• I agree with you because it can give students opportunities to show what they have learned. I also agree that teachers do give out to much homework that could make it stressful and hard to complete.

• I think that some homework is beneficial. Not all of it is though, some of it can be stupid and just waste time. I think that in order for homework to be beneficial, it should help you memorise how to do things and have you practice doing it.

• I think that homework isn't beneficial because the teachers should be able to teach us in the time frame they are given not our home life time aswell. I think that there should be assignments but they shouldn't be thing that take away from your out of school time. 

• Well Teachers also have to do alot more than students making the teachers time even harder. Because teacher could have test that they have to grade, and they also need to know if there students are acutly paying attention in there class room. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker