How corvids took the world by storm

Corvids in general are a very intelligent species of bird. No wonder they’ve populated all continents other than antarctica.The list of birds in the family Corvidae are a long list of crows, ravens, jays and magpies.Today i'll only be talking about one family in the corvidae tree, Corvus.Corvus has the three big hitters in terms of intelligence, Crows, Ravens, and Rooks.

I'll start with rooks, rooks are lesser known but are essentially european and western asian crows, research studies have demonstrated that rooks can do so in cognition tests, where tools are required, and can rival, and in some circumstances outperform, chimpanzees.But that's the lower tier of the corvids intelligence.

Something most people don't know is that Ravens team up with Wolves and pack bond with cubs to keep the lineage going the spiel is that the ravens lead the wolf pack to a more recent kill, or a smaller, sickly herd just waiting to be turned into wolf calories.in return the raven gets the leftovers. More importantly the bits and pieces that the wolves deem to be insignificant

Crows were my original topic to think of and how they are of basic human intelligence. Crows fill an interesting niche in a mix of active predation, waste management and keeping the balance. One perplexing situation is that in urbanized Japan crows have learned the bus, train and garbage collection times to snag food from unsuspecting people and waste disposal. They are smart enough to drop handfuls of nuts on the street, wait for the walk symbol to pop up and collect the goods.
Crows, unlike ravens who are mainly solitary, act in mobs, no joke ,mobs.The reason is so that they can collect information and spread the wealth like we do. They actively do what we do. learn a skill, teach it to others and the cycle continues.

There are crows in New Caledonia, living in primary forest. It inhabits only the main island, Grande Terre, and one of the Loyalty Islands, Maré Island that has zero woodpeckers. Could you guess what the crows in New Caledonia have been doing? Modifying sticks to help reach bugs in cracks and crevices. The tools are sticks trimmed and tweaked to have a hook and are even semi-self healing because of how the wear and tear works.

Corvids are just so fascinating to me because they (with the exception of pigeons for some reason) are the only non-mammal vertebrates to pass the mirror test. They can identify that the being in the mirror is them and it will mimic their movements. Most pets can't even do that and either end up attacking the mirror or get scared of themselves.

Why do  YOU believe they have a poor reputation?

How do you think the traits and skills are passed between different crow cultures?

why do you think these skills were adapted other than for survival: would they be useless in a different habitat? 12958681292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012958680499?profile=RESIZE_584x

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Very intersting topic choice andf great summary Abram! You could have replied a fe more times but greast job overall!

• They have a bad reputation because of how they look so big and scary. they also have a tendency to eat people's food.  I think the traits are passed down because of them being such a similar generation of crows.

• Corvid's poor reputation could be a result of them being seen as harbringers of misfortune, or bad omens, back in the sixteen hundreds and early seventeen hundreds. It's facinating to learn about different behaviors of seperate varients within the species. Corvids are truly facinating creatures, and are certainly a marvel within the animal kingdon, and I'm exited to see what future discoveries might withhold. 

• I think crows have a poor reputation becuase they can annoy people. The birds can be annoying because they can take up one area, poop everywhere, and squak all of the time. I think the traits are past down because they are so similar so the traits are passed down easily. 

• I think crows have a reputation of poele seeing them as annoying and creepy. But there flock are pretty intelligent birds, but they are to many of them causing bigger herds and causing them to be annoying and hungry. 

• Why do you belive crows have a bad reputation? I believe crows have a bad reputation because when people see them in public they automatically try and keep their food away so it doesnt get snatched. People also may have to be worried about getting pooped on, their cars getting pooped on, and even stepping in poop. This creates a bad name for the crows. 

• I think crows only have a bad rep because of movies and how they survive, others might also think that they are very noisy, other birds are regarded as better looking then these crows

• I believe the reason people dislike crows so much is because they can be noisy and they are commonly seen stealing food or being annoying. They are also perceived as uglier birds. Other common birds people see aren't just full black but instead more interesting or eye catching colors, which makes crows boring and dislikable to people.

• Personally, I do not like crows; they have always seemed creepy to me. But I think they also have a bad reputation because they are known to be annoying and weird. Also, their population is so big that you just see them everywhere. I think their smartness and the way they survive traveled through generations of its kind because there is such a huge population of them.

• I think that crows have a bad reputation because people see them as annoying and weird. There is so many of them and it seems like they are only increasing. There is videos of crows taking things from people like food and items and just overall annoy people.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker