Climate Change and Its Effects on Severe Weather Patterns.

Climate change is a very real, and imperative issue in our modern day world. Global temperatures have risen by 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the past three decades, which is a significantly shorter amount of time than it used to take. Due to the sheer volume of the world’s oceans, it takes a colossal amount of energy to warm them, even if only by a small amount. As such, the small increment of two degrees may seem small, but it has a tremendous impact on our planet.

Climate change is heating our atmosphere, which via the greenhouse effect, is heating our oceans. The warmer oceans are increasing the likelihood and destructive power of tropical storms, such as hurricane Helene. As of writing this article, the hurricane has killed 227 people across six different states. Entire communities have been massacred by the flash floods, flying debris, storm surges, and lack of resources. As  you can see, the ocean waters’ and atmosphere’s temperature sets off a chain reaction of a spider web of issues that all come from the leading factor; climate change.

Some Climate-change naysayers will argue that climate change doesn't exist, or that it’s a perfectly natural phenomenon. Some will also claim that if it’s real, then it’s too late for us to change anything anyways. Another idea is that plants and animals can and will adapt, and if they can’t, then that’s just natural selection doing its work. 

Facts state otherwise, and climate change activists would agree. As I previously stated, the earth’s temperature is rising far faster than it has in previous years, which many believe to be the work of humans, seeing as it all starts near the beginning of the industrial revolution. The change is too drastic and too swift for many species to properly evolve in order to keep up with. 

I myself wholeheartedly believe that climate change needs to be more recognized, and that we should be fighting to discover new solutions, alternatives, and opportunities.

sources: https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/climate-change/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m68_07Sav4 https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature ,https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/06/us/how-helene-devastated-western-north-carolina/index.htm https://www.rainforest-alliance.org/everyday-actions/6-claims-made-by-climate-change-skeptics-and-how-to-respond/  

What do you think about climate change? 

What solutions could we use to combat it? 

Do you have any thoughts about the connection between climate change and hurricane Helene?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have to disagree with you when you say that humans aren't a contributing factor to the increasing severity of it. I regret neglecting to add a graph, but since the industrial revolution the earth has risen by 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Carbon emissions and methane production has vastly increased, and if you look at a graph, timeline, or chart, it will suggest that the two events are directly influencing each other. 

• I think that you did a very good job explaining what climate change is and that we can stop it from spreading due to it being a naturally occurring thing.I think that Hurricane Helen was a very devastating thing as well.

• I think as a society, we should all come together to work on fixing climate change. In the numbers you provided, it is showing that it is hurting and killing animals and people. One of the most recent effects of this is Hurricanr Helene, which is killing many everyday. 

• I agree with you. We have started to see the horrible affects of climate change, a big recent event being Hurricane Helene. Do you have any ideas of what we could do as a society to help prevent this problem from spreading or increasing. 

• I think climate change is a very serious issue and we should be worried about it and try to find solutions as soon as possible because it is causing disasters like hurricane Helene because I do think that it has a connection with climate change.

• I think that climate change is irrelevant. Although we as people can have a toll on climate change, It's natural. Like the Neoproterozoic Era, when the world froze over. A couple million years later the world was fine. Life forms are meant to die out. Its happened a million times and history says its extremely likely to happen again. 

• While I agree that the earth experiences ice ages and scorching millenia, I have to disagree with you on climate change being irrelevant and natural. The earth's surface temprature has risen 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the past 250 years. It took hundreds of millions, perhaps even billions of years for the Neoproterozioc Era to reach its climax. Humans are vastly swiftening climate change, and its only a matter of time before we start suffering from the effects. 

• To sort of slow down or try to stop climate change I think we should use energy powered vehicles and stop burning more harmful gas into our air that we breathe. Climate change is making everything warmer and I am not for that. These past few years it feels like we have had less cold weather and snow. Instead we get hot days where it always feels like we are living in the desert. 

• I agree with you on your point on how to precent climate change. What do you think we could do to lower the emission rate of harmful gasses? Could we dedicate more money to figuring out the science of it? Or should we do something that is ethical and possible right now?

• I think that climate change can cause many bad things to happen, so I think we should work on climate change. I think it could potentially help the hurricanes and the horrible weather going on. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker