Zika virus hits the United States

The Zika Virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, and most recently discovered to be transmitted by sex. When pregnant women are infected with the virus it causes their babies to be born with severe birth defects. Also it can cause severe cases of Guillian-Barre syndrome. The mosquito that carriers the virus is very hard to control and its really hard to stop the spread.

In the state of Florida, 42 people have caught the Zika virus and it has now shown up in three places in Florida; Pinellas County, Miami Beach, and Wynwood neighborhood north of Miami. Travelers from New York, Texas and Taiwan have been infected in Florida and experts think there will be small outbreaks in Texas, Louisiana, and other gulf states.  But they don't expect the same fast spread in the United States as in other countries because people aren't as exposed to mosquitoes.  

Questions

Do you think that the zika virus will get to Iowa? explain?

Would you go to a country with many cases of the zika virus? explain?

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Lucas!

• I think the virus will definitely make its way to Iowa because of how many people travel around the world and around the country. There are already several cases in the U.S. and many people have family spread around the U.S. so I feel like if you visit an area where these outbreaks are it will be very easy to bring the virus back. I would try to stay away from any country with this virus to ensure my own safety. 

• I highly doubt that the virus will get to Iowa just because how far we are from the coast. I would rather avoid an country that has the virus just to be safe. 

• It could, hopefully it wont but we have plenty of mosquitoes here so it could. I would be careful about it and see if there was a good chance I could get infected before I go.

• your right it could get here during one other summer and we do have tons of mosquitoes here that could help the virus grow, but there is the fact that it would be slowed down by the winters. I agree i mean if i had a low chance of getting infected then i would go but if the chances were higher i would try to stay away from there. 

• It could if people with the Zika virus come to Iowa and spread it or some one from Iowa goes to the states with it and come back to Iowa with the Zika virus. If I had to then yes like for a special event, but I would try to be safe from it. 

• I agree! there is a chance that it could come to Iowa during one of the summers there has been 1-2 reported cases in Iowa right now but if it were to get bigger it woulds top during the winters. I agree i would go to another country for a special event but not go where it is big.

• It could possibly travel to Iowa especially if somebody from Iowa goes to where the Zika virus is right now. Know I am not going to go to a country with the Zika Virus because it is harmful and I know people that are pregnant and that wouldn't be good if I gave them the Zika Virus. 

• I agree! it could come from somewhere else and affect the people that live in Iowa during the summers but it would be slowed down by the winters and it would not harm much. I would go to a country with the virus if it had small amounts not just large amounts.

• yes I believe it will hit Iowa but not for awhile and with winter coming the virus hasn't adapted to handle cold weather on hot humid wheatear so it would slow it down tremendously

no, because I wouldn't want my family to get the virus and bring it back with us to possibly get other people sick especially pregnant women

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker