What Should The Legal Drinking Age Be?

Most places in the United States have their legal drinking age set for 21 since the Drinking Age Act was passed in 1984. Ever since then it hasn't changed that much only with some smaller states changing it to higher or lower it. However, currently it is set for 21  no younger and no older for all 50 states in the US. Some have argued it should be lowered to 18 because it will actually help lower death rates and binge drinking in younger teens. Some also argue it should be highered.

Many argue that if you lower the MLDA (Minimum Legal Drinking Age) to 18 then it can lower binge drinking in underage youth and encourage responsible drinking habits. Lowering the MLDA will normalize good and responsible drinking habits among the youth. Those are some of the reasons why we should lower the minimum drinking age to 18.

However, some argue that lowering the legal drinking age to 21 would be bad for the youth and have more deaths by drinking rise. According to the cdc, "Excessive drinking contributes to more than 3,900 deaths among people below the age of 21 in the U.S. each year". 

https://tinyurl.com/stephens-edu

https://tinyurl.com/cdcalcoholfactssheet

What age do you think the MLDA should be at?

Do you plan on consuming alcohol when your older?

What is your opinions on drinking age?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the age should stay at 21. Drinking is bad for anyone younger than that because your brain is still maturing. However I think its odd that you can serve your country at 18 but cant drink a beer or smoke a ciggerete. It just seems oss that they trust you to fight and die for them but not to drink responsibly. Good topic. 

• I think that the drinking age should not change and stay the same as it is now, and when the age would be lowered to 18 the alchohol would be able to be drank at 18 and when someone is 17 or 16 and looks old enough they could easily have a fake ID and just not get in trouble.

• I think that you should be 18 when you drink alcohol. I am not planning on drinking when I am older or atleast not that much. I think that if people want to drink and they are old enough then they should be able to drink what they want.

• I think that a good legal drinking age should be 18, but you have to be out of highschool. I think this because you can vote, serve you country and possibly die but you cant drink.  I do plan on consuming alcohol when i come of age but not before hand. I think that the age rn is just fine, if they change it its what ever it will not effect me anyways.

• I think that the MLDA should be 21. I think that it is a good age to start drinking, because it is easier for teens to wait untill they are 21 rather than waiting until they are 25.  I don't think I plan on drinking even when im 21 so this doesn't really affect me.

• I think that the MLDA should be 25 years old. At this point people's brains have started to finalized developement and they can make decisions for themselves better. With being more responsible. I don't plan on consuming an alcohol when I am older and can legally drink.

• I agree that the age should be lowered. If you are able to become a working adult and are able to buy a house or a car at 18, it just makes sense that you should be able to consume and buy alcohol. At the age of 18 many people feel free from their parents and find some way to drink anyways. Maybe by lowering the age limit then they could build tolerance and get over their "party stage" and move on with their lives.

• I think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18. At the age of 18 you are an adult and mature enough. In my opinion if people already live without their parents and are adult they should be allowed to drink and many people drink at 18 either way.

• I think that the drinking age should stay at 21. If they lower the age if feel there will be many problems and incidents because of irresponsible young ages. I think that from ages 18-20 you should be aloud to drink with parent permission and supervision.  

• I strongly believe that the drinking age is fine right now, and that it should stay at 21. It doesn't really matter what the age is because underage kids are going to drink anyways, so why change the law. I can see why people want it to be 18, but I disagree.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker