What do we tell kids about Santa Clause?

The story of Santa Claus goes all the way back to the third century during the time of St. Nicholas. For years the hot topic to so many has been arguing over whether it is good parenting to tell kids that Santa Clause squeezes down the chimmy bringing presents for the good little girls and boys.

The downers say that you should never lie to your kids beacuse It ruins trustworthiness and your relationship with your child. Kids rely on us fully and need us to help make sense of the world. They state it is fine to talk about Santa only being a fantasy character seen in books, movies and toys. Many also believe it is better to be straightforward with Santa being fake then having to deal with children being sad later on. 

People on the “pro” side say kids stop believing so young anyways. What's having some fun and imagination in the early years going to hurt? Many state that in the first few years of childhood kids believe in many fantasy figures like superheroes, monsters, mermaids, and fairies so how is believing in jolly old St. Nic any different. Santa Clause has been a tradition going back generations after generations if believing didint harm them,  parents and grandparents people who believe ask why would it harm kids today? Not to mention Santa is everywhere during the holiday season and makes things so fun to many why would you want to take the opportunity of believing in something so fun and magical away from young kids. 

In my opinion I can see how many find it a trust issue to not be straightforward about Santa but, I think if kids are told the real truth when the age to understand I think bringing Santa into young kids fantasies is something that every kid should get the chance to enjoy during the holiday season. 

Questions 

1. Did you grow up believing in santa?
  2. How old were you when you relized santa isint real?
  3. Do you think parents should let their kids believe in santa?

Sources 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/holidays-other/10-holiday-controversies.htm

https://www.parents.com/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-santa-claus-6836193

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree it definetly keeps kids in line during the holidays with the thought of santa not coming because they are being naughty. 

• I did grow up believing in Santa and stopped believing around 9 years old. I think parents should have their kids believe in Santa. It brings more joy and magic to Christmas, and lets kids have a more positive look at life. It can also make them behave better.

• I agree santa dose bring a ton of joy and magic to Christmas and is such a positive message to be great to others during the season of giving.

• I did believe in Santa when I was younger. I was about 6 or 7 when I found out he was fake. I think parents should let their kids believe in Santa because it gives them something to look forward to during Christmas. Of course, when the child is a little older the child will find out.

• I did grow up believing in santa like every kid did. i was maybe 8 or 9 when i knew santa wasn't real. we should tell kids santa isn't real or dont tell kids about him at all and let them thank there parents

• I can see this the parents do all of the santa work and get no thank you but I think the kids reactions on christmas to santa coming shows their appritiation and not to mention someday they will thank their parents for everything they had done over the years to make the holidays so special.

• Yes i belived in santa and when i got told he's not real i was heart broken if any kid doesn't believe in santa then there parents have failed them santa is such a huge part of christmas waking up and seeing presednts under the tree thinking there from santa is the best feeling. 

• I never entirely believed in Santa growing up. I remeber I was in the car once when I was six, and I just asked my dad about santa and he said that he was not real. It didn't hurt my relationship with him, and it didn't make me not trust him anymore. So, I think that as long as kids believe in him, they should be allowed. But the truth should never be held from them.

• I agree strongly with this I think it is great to believe in santa but never to hide the truth when a child asks if real or not.

• i grew up beliving in santa like almost every other child it make chrismas so much better because you go te bed. then wake up run to the living room and find a bounch of gifts just waiting for you. i was like 12 when i stop beliving in santa. i think parants should try as hard as they can to make the myth of santa stick around its one of the most important things about christmas.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker