What belongs at the top of the tree?

A tree topper is the large ornament placed on the very top of a Christmas tree. No one knows exactly where they originated, but their first on record use was in Germany in the 1600s back when baby Jesus tree toppers covered family trees covered with gold glitter, gingerbread and apples. 

As time has gone on, angel toppers had become the most popular In England during the 17th century. It makes sense since angles play a large part in the Christmas nativity story and have many Christmas carols to back it up like  “Hark the Hearld Angels Sing ''. However the angle on top of the tree to most people represents the heavenly messengers who announced the birth of Jesus Christ.

As more and more years have gone by, star tree toppers have gained popularity. Many people today purchase all different shapes, sizes, and colors of these christmas star toppers to place on top of the family tree representing the very well known star of Bethlaham. 

Years and years later Christmas tree toppers are still used in many households that choose to celebrate the season of Christmas. However, today there are more creative tree toppers that have expanded beyond just stars and angles placed at the top of the tree. Unique ideas of these christmas tree toppers keep getting better and better each year consisting of snowman, elfs, candy canes, and even santa.

In my opinion I think that both the star and the angel on top of the tree are equally as special. My family places an angel on one of our trees and a star on the other during the holidays. 

• What do you place on top of your tree?
  • Do you prefer a star or an angle?
  • Do you place something other than an angel or star on your tree?

Sources 

https://www.southernliving.com/holidays-occasions/christmas/decor/history-christmas-tree-angel-topper 

https://treebuddees.com/blogs/news/a-brief-history-of-christmas-tree-toppers 

https://discover.hubpages.com/religion-philosophy/Meaning-of-the-Star-on-the-Christmas-Tree 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Super job Kennedy!! #1!!

• I like the idea of both a star and an angel on top of a Christmas tree. My family uses a star and has for many years. I do not think it is very important whether you put a star or angel on your tree because they both are related to Christmas, however, I believe that these two are the best options.

• My family places a start at the top of the tree every year. I personally do not have a preference on what goes on top of the Christmas tree every year. I do not think anything else other than a star has gone on the top of my family tree. 

• My family places a snowflake on top instead of an angel or star. Though if I got to pick I'd choose a sun. For me the sun represents the sun's return after the shortest day of the year and the days become longer.

• Ive never even thought about putting a snowflake on top of a Christmas tree before, but I bet it is so pretty. Now I want to see your tree:)

• My family normally does an angel. But it just depends what we want to put up that year. We have put a star up before, however, we have an angel up on ours this year. I see why stars could be prefered as well because it represents the star of Bethlehem.

• I agree depending on the year and what other decorations are going up that year often play a big part of picking which tree toper gets put on the tree.

• Every year you should have one big extravagant decoration at th etop of the tree whether its been passed down generations or you want ti start a new tradition but four our family we have a star that has been passed down many generations.

• Thats really cool I think family tree topers that have been passed down and kept in the family is something really fun and a lot of people dont do so is very unique!

• I perfure a stare on the top of a tree becuase it is very inportant. It symbilizes the star of Bethlehem. That is the reasen we alawys put a star insted of a Angle on top of our christmas tree.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker