As you know, multiple stores are now using self check-out stations. You see them everytime you walk into a grocery store. Many people have different opinions on self check-out stations. CNN gives us pros and cons on why people think they may or maynot be good.

Pros: 

People think that it's faster than human cashier. Some stores also see themselves as being competitive with other stores. People want to shop at the better stores. According the CNN, the pandemic also changed the way people shop because it made it so you wouldn't have to be around other people. After the pandemic it was harder for stores to find people that want to work as cashiers.

Cons:

CNN states, "According to a survey last year of 1,000 shoppers, 67% said they’d experienced a failure at the self-checkout lane."  That is over half of the people that have problems or errors when checking-out. After this many years you think they would have it figur out. According to CNN, self check-out have less security than human check-outs. Which means the stores have more shoplifters and the store loses money. Also, the machines are expensive to install and keep them working. Self check-out machines have been since the early 1900's. The purpose was to lower the prices of what was on the shelf, because they didn't have to pay for someone else to check them out (CNN Business).  "The system reduced cashier costs by as much as 66%, according to a 1988 article in the Miami Herald.", states CNN. 

I'm against self check-out stations, because if I was in a rush to get somewhere and one of the items didn't ring up, I may not know. Then when I walked through the sensors, they would start beepingI, and  could be accused of shoplifting. Also, it takes away jobs from people who may need the money. 

Questions

Is it easier for people to shop-lift?

Is it putting a dent in the number of jobs out there for people? 

Sources

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/09/business/self-checkout-retail/index.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with what you said.

• Thank you

• Your welcome

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree because they are faster to use but sometimes they have a problem or error which takes more time.

• I don't think it's easier to shoplift because employees supervise the self-checkout. It depends on what store it is and how old the people that are working at the store are getting self-checkouts. 

• I disagree because when I go to Dollar General or some other stores they don't have a supervisor or anything.

• i think the self check out station doesnt do a good enough job on stopping people from shop lifting i mean people can still do it all over the store. also self checkout systems alwasy eaither shut down or stop working and then you have to sit and wait for a new one. i think the self checkout systems kind of is. there are a bounch of stores that now just have empty check out lines and only a couple self check out systems. so with them putting it in the jobs go down.

• I agree with you.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker