What are ghost guns, ghost guns are a gun that has no serial numbers or identification and can not be traced. They can be 3d printed and the parts can just be ordered off the internet and put together in your home in under 4 hours at the most but they must use an unfinished receiver or frames that is the part that contains the operating parts to the firearm. Usually frames and receivers have to be registered and run through the state, but only if they are finished but these are unfinished so they don't have to be registered or run through the state and it takes less than an hour to finish them out. Once all of the parts are put together it looks, feels and operates like a real firearm.  

Now why are ghost guns such a big deal, they are such a big deal because you need no background check to buy the gun or the kit to make the gun itself. the sales of ghost gun kits has increased tremendously, in 2020 Carlos A. Canino ``forty one percent, so almost half our cases we're coming across these ghost guns." Ghost guns are not just in America, they are in so many countries. Three ghost guns were found in the district of columbia. "In 2019 116 guns were recovered and at least three were connected to homicide" said by brady united.org. More than 2,500 ghost guns have been included in many criminal activities; gun kits and 3d printed gun kits have skyrocketed since the outbreak of covid 19. These guns can be purchased by anybody including criminals because they can't be traced back to them if they are found at a crime scene.

Now what are the statistics of ghost guns, reported murders and shootings have been using ghost guns since 2013. There have been over 350 million estimated ghost guns to be in the United States that they know but who knows how many there actually are. They have the highest rates of homicides in America, according to fas.org but there could be so many more than that because they are untraceable and if they are never found they can't relate them back to these crimes. From 2016 to 2021 there has been a 1000.3 percent increase in ghost guns used in criminal activity. There has been over 37,000 ghost guns recovered on crime scenes and other raids since 2017 with a 1083 percent in recoveries since 2017 to 2021 and if you think that that is a big jump they think some are still not reported. 

What is the government doing to prevent the use of ghost guns, in 2021 president biden outlined a "comprehensive gun strategy" this was supposed to help the sto the propagation of ghost guns to this day only 11 out of the 50 states have adopted regulation for ghost guns. The supreme court ruled 5-4 to allow Biden to regulate gun making kits the same way he does to regular firearms. The atf proposed the regulations to stop the abrupt increase in ghost guns availability of ghost guns and kits.

Do you think that these gun laws will eventually infringe our second amendment right?

What do you think about ghost guns based on what you've read?

What do you think the government should do to regulate the use of ghost guns?

link 1

link 2

link 3

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job Kasey! I would like to see more of your thoughts and opinions within your summary next time.

• I don't see a problem with ghost guns until it becomes a problem.  but I wouldn't understand this because I don't need to use again and if I did I probably would purchase it at the store not make it myself cuz it seems a lot harder than just purchasing it at the store 

• I personally think that the laws on these ghost guns will result in monitored use or something like that becuase some say they are dangerous and others say they are good.  I think these guns are very interesting as to how they are made so easily and do not break. However I can see these guns being a lot harder to work with in crime scene investigations. 

• yes, I completely agree these guns could be hard to work with because if theres no finger print or dna it could be hard for cops to trace it.

• I think the laws on guns will change slighly. Now they dont classifiy it as a gun since its made in peices, but I think that will change to anything the fire a high velocity object weither its amde in peices or not. I think ghost guns are pretty nice its a cheap, quick and easy way to get a gun. Anyhting the fire a high veloxity object should be considered a gun.

• I don't think the govn. should do anything about it really. Clearly, no one would listen if they were asked to get their illegal gun numbered or registered becuase if they have one its probably because thye aren't aloud to legally. Also, what if the people can't because of something thye did as a kid, thats gonna reflect on if they can or can't when they are older? 

• The ghost guns scare me to be honest. an untracible gun that could be anywhere? No thank you. I think that these guns will be found more and more around crime sences, and bad people will use them more and more. I think that eventually, Congress will have to change the second amendment because these will become a huge problem. People will start to not buy guns normally, because buying ghost guns will be so much eaiser. The future of ghost guns seems very terrifying.

• yes definitly terrifing but what could they add to the second amendment about these ghost guns.

• What i think about ghost guns based on what I have read Is that they are somtimes a good thing and somtimes they are a bad thing. They are somtimes a good thing because if you cant afford a gun you can 3D print a ghost gun and then get a serielnumber from the Government. They are somtimes a bad thing because if someone makes one the gun cannot be traced.

• I think that eventually, the laws may get too out of hand. I also think that these ghost guns are pretty interesting in how they can be made so easily and not break. But they make the cop's jobs a lot harder in crime scenes which is not good for crime scene investigations.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker