Was This Arrest A Set-Up?

Greta Thunberg is a 20 year old Swedish activist who fights against climate change. She tries to reduce her carbon footprint and other peoples. Even her parents have adopted her lifestyle. At the age of 15 Thunberg attended her first protest. She skipped school to protest outside the parliament. She protested for more action against climate change. Six days after her first protest she was joined by parents, teachers, and students. She has now been protesting agianst climate change for 5 years.

On Tuesday, January 17th, 2023, in Lützerath, Germany, she was arrested during a protest. Some people think that her arrest was ‘staged’ to bring more popularity to her. There are other people, including Greta Thunberg, that say it wasn't staged. The police released her out of jail a couple hours after her arrest. Greta then said, "Yesterday I was part of a group that peacefully protested the expansion of a coal mine in Germany. We were kettled by police and then detained but were let go later that evening. Climate protection is not a crime." Many people think it is absurd that she got arrested for protesting. The protest wasn’t violent at all, yet she still got arrested.

Personally I don’t think she should have gotten arrested for a protest that wasn’t even violent. I think that the police were overreacting. She just wanted to share her opinion about the expansion of a coal mine. I also don’t think that the arrest was all set up. If Greta wanted to set this up she would have had to pay people and the police to do what they had to and overall she would just waste her money.

Questions:

Do you think the police were overreacting by arresting her?

What is your opinion on climate change?

Do you think that the whole arrest was a set-up?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job overall Dixi! +5 for a new topic idea

• I don't think the police were overreacting when they arrested her. If she was blocking streets and stopping traffic, then theres a probelm. Were there things they didn't share about the protest, or were they really just arresting them because they were tired of the protesting?

• I don't think that the police were 'overreacting' by arresting her, they had to have had a reason to arrest her. Whether that be trespassing or blocking the roads and causing a safety hazard, there was a reason. My opinion on climate change is that I won't be here to see the major effects of it because I'll be dead by then. I'm sure that future generations will come out with some kind of science to stop climate change. I don't think that the arrest was a set-up because if it was she would be in jail, not sitting in the station for a couple of hours doing nothing, and then being released.

• I think they were overreacting because she was peacefully protesting with other people and they got arrested. I guess there could be some information that can be leaked to the press that can say otherwise. 

• If it was an actual peaceful protest, then she shouldn't have been arrested in my opinion. Honestly, I don't know enough about climate change to form and voice an opinion on it. I don't think the arrest would be a setup, but there is a chance that it could be. 

• i feel she was meant to be arrested even though it was probabaly staged to just bring more attention to her because of everything that happened with andrew tate. i feel climate change is a big problem and needs to be adresed.

• Maybe, or she could have wanted more attention so people can worry more about climate change. 

• I think that they were not overreacting by arresting her. I think the climate change is a big problem in the world because of the weather changing so much. I do not think that the arrest was not a set up because people arnt gonna ruin someones life like that.

• If it was a peaceful protest then the police shouldn't have arrested her. It goes against the first amendment. I feel that climate change is a problem that if not dealt with now, could greatly affect future generations. Doing so costs a lot of money and as inflation hits, it is more difficult to focus on multiple problems at once.

• I agree with the first sentence of your comment, but this wasn't in the United States so there was no amendments. This arrest took place in Germany. I also agree with your climate change sentence.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker