Volleyball: An American Classic

Volleyball, originally called mintonette, has evolved from a humble beginning to a global sport. The popular game can be traced back to Massachusetts, USA, where it was invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan. Morgan introduced volleyball as an alternative activity for those who found basketball too physically demanding. The concept of volleyball took inspiration from several sports combined into one: the ball from basketball, the net from tennis, and the use of hands from handball. In addition, innings, now known as sets, were borrowed from baseball in order to make the game more competitive. Morgan presented the game at the YMCA Physical Director’s Conference where it officially became a nationally recognized sport in 1896. 

Today, volleyball is played by over 46 million people nationally and over 800 million people globally. Athletes in the United States can participate in volleyball club teams, recreational leagues, or play at the collegiate level. However, professional volleyball in the US has seen limited success. Numerous attempts have been made to start professional indoor women’s volleyball leagues. For instance, Major League Volleyball was a women’s volleyball league with six teams that played for two-and-a-half seasons from 1987 to 1989. Unfortunately, the league ended due to financial losses. The most recent attempt includes the institution of the Pro Volleyball Federation that was announced in 2022. The league currently consists of seven teams from around the country, including a local team out of Omaha, NE, the Omaha Supernovas. The league plans to add three new teams for the 2025 season. The Pro Volleyball Federation has received tremendous support from former athletes, singers, and of course, the fans. The future of professional volleyball in the United States is promising. 

As a volleyball player, I was more than excited to hear of a professional volleyball league beginning in my home country. I recently had the opportunity to attend a professional volleyball game in Omaha, NE. I got to watch our hometown celebrity, Jess Schaben, play alongside other incredible athletes from around the world. I can’t wait to see the league continue to grow and inspire young athletes nationwide.

Have you attended a college/professional volleyball game? If not, would you like to?

Do you think the PVF will continue? Why or why not?

Do you think volleyball will gain more popularity because of this league? Why or why not?

Pro Volleyball Federation

Wikipedia - Volleyball in the United States

NCVA - History of Volleyball

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, I think the PVF is more likely to stay a league if the sports/teams are competitive and talented. That aspect make the league more fun to watch and follow along with throughout the season. 

• I have never been to a college or professional volleyball game before. I think that it would be a cool experience to go watch a profession or college volleyball game because I know the sport. I think that the PVF will continue because they are doing so well and it is bringing so many people's attention to the sport. 

• I haven't attended a college or professional volleyball game but I would like to. I think the PVF will continue if they add more professional teams. I think that volleyball has gained more popularity since the Supernovas started. Mainly because of the players but also because it's a good team.

• I agree. Having a local team makes viewers more likely to be involved/supportive of it, especially since we have a former local player that has been doing very well on the team so far. 

• To my knowledge I have never been to a college/professional volleyball game. But, I would love to go sometime. I think Professional Volleyball Foundation will continue to grow and be around for a long time. I could see volleyball gaining more traction.

• I have not been to a college or professional volleyball game, though I would love to go to one. I did volleyball in middle school and my freshman year, I liked it but not a lot. I think watching volleyball is more fun than playing it. I think over time volleyball will get more and more popular and more people will watch it. 

• I persanoly have never attended a collage/professional vollyball game. I am not sure if i would like to or not, i have never really watched the sport and i am not sure if i would enjoy it. I do think that vollyball will gain more popularity with this league. 

• I understand that, however, I think most people enjoy the atmosphere that you are in when you attend a professional game. It's fun, exciting, and competitive, and there is almost always something for everyone to enjoy. 

• With the pve I do will start to go and continue if all of it will start to go and be smooth for most over they years. With just volley ball I do think it will start to gain more popularty because a lot of people do like to play that game when tehy do have free time.

• I've never been to a professional volleyball game, but I think I would really enjoy it, and hope I can go sometime. I think PVF will continue because of people's love for playing and watching volleyball. Also, I think having these leagues will make the sport more popular.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker