As the midterm elections arrive, one of the biggest messages being spread around media is to get out and vote for the candidates of various governmental positions. Recently, however, a series of thousands of automated Twitter accounts have been posting messages discouraging voting. Between September and October, these accounts, posing as democrats, have been "spreading misinformation in an automated fashion," which, in multiple ways, is violating Twitter's terms of use. The irony of these account posing as democrats is that, since the democrat party is currently not in control of either part of the senate, real democrats want their party members to vote. This seems to show an attempt at tampering with the elections in preference to the republicans. 

Link to the story.

Do you think Twitter should have the ability to remove all these accounts? Why or why not?

I feel as though Twitter was in the right to remove the accounts, as they violate the terms of usage.

What group of people do you think was behind these accounts, and why do you think they did this?

I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect that a group of republicans were behind the accounts because they don't want the republican politicians to get voted out.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Chloe!

• Yes becasue if its tampering with the elections and misuse of the app than Twitter has the right to revome them. Democrats more than likely becasue after all they did loose the house so that had to of had a feeling that they were going to lose so they wanted to mess up the voting by tellling people not to vote.

• Since what they were tweeting went against the terms of use, Twitter had the right to move the accounts. They violated the guidlines, if they didn't want their accounts delted, then they shouldn't of posted things that are against terms of use. 

• I agree with you, no matter who the people behind it were, since they were violating the guidelines they definitely shouldn't be allowed to post anymore.

• I feel like also Twitter made the right move to remove the accounts because they used and made the terms violated. I also think that it was wrong for people to discourage people to vote one way, but people have to also realize, people do that all the time; they state their beliefs and differences. 

• They should be able to banned this accounts because it all up to the people who own twitter. Plus its bad for people who have the right to vote because sometimes those people who dont vote can come in play in the future. 

• Of course they should have the right to take down these accounts. They own and created the site they should be able to do whatever they want with them. Probably some tech savy morons with nothing better to do.

• Yes, they definitely should be able to have control over their own website. I also agree that this was probably done by people who don't have much to do with politics, other than wanting certain people to win.

• They should be able to do this because voting is very important. The US needs more people that can vote to vote instead of telling them not to. I'm not sure who would want people to not vote unless it was someone that hated every single candidate.

• Yes, if it violates the twitters terms of service then they should be able to delete the accounts. It could be far-right extremists wanting to screw over the democrats by giving them a bad name, or it could be Russia! 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker