Tunnel Rats

Are you claustrophobic? Are you afraid of the dark? Are you willing to risk your life for the safety of your platoon? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you would not be a prime candidate for the bravest position in the war of Vietnam. Have you ever heard of Tunnel Rats? This position was considered the most dangerous and intense job in Vietnam. 

On March 8, 1965, the USA entered the Vietnam War. American soldiers were foreign to the combat of the Vietnamese. Americans started gaining ground in Vietnam, thinking they were making progress. But at the same time, they were secretly being attacked by the Vietnamese. Little did the Americans know, many systems of tunnels were dug out beneath and surrounding the campsites. These tunnels held strongholds with dynamite, weapons, and anything that could break down the American defenses. After realizing that they were being attacked the Americans assigned special operatives to investigate these tunnels and take out munition strongholds in them to prevent any further damage to the American army.  

The Americans were successful at first with these investigations. However many Vietnamese soldiers began noticing that their supplies were being stolen & damaged so they started setting up traps: spike pits, explosives, snakes, poison spiders, spring spiked traps, you name it, the Vietnamese threw them in the tunnels. Not only did these traps begin to kill off a majority of the American tunnel rats, but replacements for these soldiers were scared to death of the tunnels. 

As time continued in Vietnam it became clear that the probability of the United States winning this war was slim to none. Less and fewer tunnel rats began coming back from their missions, and the ruthless gorilla tactics of communist Vietnam were unbeatable. Eventually, on March 29, 1973, the USA pulled out of the Vietnam War due to war efforts and casualties. 

The Vietnam War was one of the only wars in which the United States of America did not win. A major part of this is the style of combat that the Vietnamese used (Underground Tunnels). Tunnel rats were super brave officers of the Army who played a huge role in combating the Vietnamese while we were stationed there. Though the job of a tunnel rat was both physically & mentally challenging it was one of the most terrifying and important jobs that was crucial in the war effort in Vietnam. 

Would you volunteer to be a tunnel rat?

What would you be most afraid of in the tunnels?

If not a tunnel rat, what other job would you like to do in the Vietnam War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZ9kGwqkTM

https://historyhub.history.gov/military-records/f/military-records-forum/32569/who-were-the-tunnel-rats-in-the-viet-nam-war

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you case. Ive gotten better with tight places over the years, but I think spending a lot of time crawling throught them seems like a terrifying place to be. Not to mention running into an enemy or traps of any kind. I think that being a pilot would be much better. 

• I am not claustrophobic but I would not want to be a tunnel rat. I belive that the risks involved with being a tunnel rat is not worth the reward. What I would be most afraid of in the tunnels is running into a trap. If not a tunnel rat I would rather be a sniper. 

• Personally I wouldnt volenteer as one as its a very deadly job and a very high risk of getting injured or killed. I think in the tunnels id be most afraid of being stuck in a trap or encountering VietCong in the tunnels. In the Vietnam war if Id do any job id be a pilot for the Huey helicopters .

• Agreed, aside from helping out the platoon, I see no help from this job. You are putting your self in danger, and risking everything you have. There is also the chance of being captured and turned into a POW. In both cases your chances of survival are super low. 

• Even though i'm not claustrophobic and not scared of the dark I still wouldn't wanna be a tunnel rat. I think that there are to many risk involved with being a tunnel rat such as traps, snakes or even running into somebody i'm fighting against which could result in death.

• Haha same man. No shot im getting down into those tunnels. Even if I am comfortable in close areas, and the dark doesnt bother me, cobras, pythons, spikes, explosives dont make me seem better about the situation. 

• I do not think that I would ever volunteer to be a tunnel rat. There are many ways that something could go wrong. I think that I would be most afraid of what was down in the tunnels, such as snakes, spiders, traps, running into someone that I am fighting against and the fact that it is very dark and there aren't many ways to get out.

• I agree there are multiple scenarios where you do not survive down in the vietkongs tunnels. I also agree, spiders, snakes, and other animals and traps would make navigating these tunnels quite a challange. Your right, there are not many ways out unless you know your way around the tunnels well. 

• I do not get claustrophobic very easily and am not scared of the dark, but, I would not volunteer to be a tunnel rat. The people who were tunnel rats in the war were very brave. I would be most afraid of not getting out of the tunnel or not knowing what could be in the tunnels. 

• Same. There are way to many aspects to this job that would be scary. The dark, close quarters, enemy soldiers, traps, explosives. None of these really strike me as exciting. I would not be looking farward to these, therefore I would not want to be a rat. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker