Tunnel Rats

Are you claustrophobic? Are you afraid of the dark? Are you willing to risk your life for the safety of your platoon? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you would not be a prime candidate for the bravest position in the war of Vietnam. Have you ever heard of Tunnel Rats? This position was considered the most dangerous and intense job in Vietnam. 

On March 8, 1965, the USA entered the Vietnam War. American soldiers were foreign to the combat of the Vietnamese. Americans started gaining ground in Vietnam, thinking they were making progress. But at the same time, they were secretly being attacked by the Vietnamese. Little did the Americans know, many systems of tunnels were dug out beneath and surrounding the campsites. These tunnels held strongholds with dynamite, weapons, and anything that could break down the American defenses. After realizing that they were being attacked the Americans assigned special operatives to investigate these tunnels and take out munition strongholds in them to prevent any further damage to the American army.  

The Americans were successful at first with these investigations. However many Vietnamese soldiers began noticing that their supplies were being stolen & damaged so they started setting up traps: spike pits, explosives, snakes, poison spiders, spring spiked traps, you name it, the Vietnamese threw them in the tunnels. Not only did these traps begin to kill off a majority of the American tunnel rats, but replacements for these soldiers were scared to death of the tunnels. 

As time continued in Vietnam it became clear that the probability of the United States winning this war was slim to none. Less and fewer tunnel rats began coming back from their missions, and the ruthless gorilla tactics of communist Vietnam were unbeatable. Eventually, on March 29, 1973, the USA pulled out of the Vietnam War due to war efforts and casualties. 

The Vietnam War was one of the only wars in which the United States of America did not win. A major part of this is the style of combat that the Vietnamese used (Underground Tunnels). Tunnel rats were super brave officers of the Army who played a huge role in combating the Vietnamese while we were stationed there. Though the job of a tunnel rat was both physically & mentally challenging it was one of the most terrifying and important jobs that was crucial in the war effort in Vietnam. 

Would you volunteer to be a tunnel rat?

What would you be most afraid of in the tunnels?

If not a tunnel rat, what other job would you like to do in the Vietnam War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZ9kGwqkTM

https://historyhub.history.gov/military-records/f/military-records-forum/32569/who-were-the-tunnel-rats-in-the-viet-nam-war

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• This is a fascinating story. Being a tunnel rat would be kinda of a  dark scary job to do during World War 2. I don't think that I would ever do that, I would rather drive a tank or fly planes. Then I could shout big guns.

• I agree, there was nothing pretty about being a tunnel rat aside from seeing the outside world after you survived a tunnel exploration. In a way its kind of like cave exploration. I also agree, flying planes, shooting guns, and driving tanks sounds like a much more safe way to fight the war. 

• I think that i might just be really afraid that if i went into a super dark tunnel i would think in my head that maybe something or an a dangrous animal would come and pop out of nowere and scare me i wouldnt even like that if that did happened to me. I wouldnt even go into a tunnel at all, but if i was with somebody i would go in with them to do it.

• I agree, the aspect of being in the dark would make the task very difficult. I think after a while I would start hearing things. I would confuse these things for actual people or animals and this would end up getting me killed. I dont think this job is for me.

• No, I would not volunteer to be a tunnel rat. I'm way too scared of the dark and small spaces. I would scared of the unknown. I wouldn't be able to crawl through tunnels in the dark without knowing what could happen to me. In the tunnels, I'd be most afraid of other soldiers killing me, attacking me, or crawling over an explosive and blowing up. I would want to be in the Air force, it seems the least dangerous. 

• I agree, no way im getting down into those tunnels. I would be too scared to check out the parts of the tunnel. I woud 100% need to have someone down there with me. But having another person with me could compromize the mission. 

• I would absolutely not volunteer to be a tunnel rat. I would be most afraid of being captured or falling to explosives trapped in the tunnels. Both of my grandpas fought in the Vietnam war in the Navy and the Air Force. I would most likely want to do something along those lines. 

• I agree. I think that serving in either the Navy or Air Force would be a much better idea than getting trapped in a dark boobtrapped cave of death. The vietnam tourture methods were not pretty or clean. So getting snatched in a cave and have water slowly pumped down your throat is not a good way to go out. I would 100% stick to a surface job. 

• I would never consider being a tunnel rat. I am very scared of the dark. (my dog has to sleep in my bed). I would not be a prime candidate for it.  I feel like the scariest part would be, not knowing whats down there.  

• I completly understand. Depending on the size of the tunnels, I would most definetly not be going down into them. Being scared of the dark would not be the best option for a tunnel rat.  I think the idea of being brave enought to go down into the tunnels is cool, but the reality of being face to face with a spike trap is not good. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker