Too old to be president?

How old is too old to be president? The constitution clearly states that the president must be a natural-born U.S. citizen who is at least 35 years old. There is however no maximum age given. Many debate if the position should have an age cap or even required mental and physical testing.

74% of the United States presidents have been under 60 at the time of their inauguration.Our current president, Joe Biden, is 81. America’s last president, Donald Trump, was 74 while in office. To put this in perspective, U.S. Presidents have historically been in their 50’s. Famous presidents such as George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were 57 and 52 respectively. Having presidents these ages is a new trend. This raises the question: are presidents in their 80’s or even upper 70’s mentally and physically fit to be president?

Studies show “Around 10 percent of people over 70 years of age have some form of dementia. The risk increases with each passing year.” This concerns many because it is vital that someone with so much responsibility be very sharp. An additional concern is that: as people age they are more susceptible to diseases, and are also more likely to have sudden health changes.

On the other side, people argue that each case is different because all 80 year olds have different cognitive abilities. They also note the age minimum is there to ensure a level of experience and wisdom that older presidents have. Plus when the Constitution was drafted, a 60 year old was expected to live another 15 years. In 2020, men that age are expected to live another 22 years.

Personally, I think there should be an age limit for the president. If they are allowed to have an age minimum to ensure the president has certain qualities, they should also have an age limit for those same reasons. I also think younger presidents think more about the future of their decisions because they will affect them for more years.

https://potus.com/presidential-facts/age-at-inauguration/ 

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/4189813-how-old-is-too-old-when-it-comes-to-our-elected-officials/ 

Do you think there should be an age limit for the president?

Do you think mental and physical testing should be required?

What would be a good age limit and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that if their was an age limit it would not be bad. I think if that were to be tested that would be good so we can see how well they really are. I think that the age limit should be in the 70's somewhere because at that point they might be losing it.

• I agree, testing can help us see how well a president really is and not just how well they apear to be.

• I think there should be an age limit to be the president because after you get so old you can start having more health problems. Yes I think the president should be mentally and physically tested so we know the man or woman is fit for the job.

• I agree, testing is a good way to make sure someone is not only capable, but fit for the job of president.

• I definitely do think that there should be an age limit for the president. I think that the testing should be required. If I were able to pick an age limit for the president I think I would pick an age anywhere from 30-70 because most people under 30s are not matured the way and have not had enough time to experience life. 

• Good point, people under 30 may not have enough life experience to use when making decisions. 30-70 is a good age limit.

• I  think there should 100% be an age limit for president. I think mental and phisically test should be requred to make sure you are able to actually function. I also think a limit of like 65 would be good as thats about the retirement age and I dont want anyone extreamly old to be a president.

• I never thought about retirement age. At the age of 65 many people can receive assistance and discounts. The president would also get these.

• Yes I do think that there should be an age limit on being president. Just to mkae sure that the presdient would be some what mature enough. I think the age of 30-70 should be presidnet becasue they are out of their 20s and are maturing a little more. I think there should be testing for the presdient. 

• I agree, maturity is an important quality to have when you make decisions that have so much power.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker