The Wizard Of Oz

The Wizard Of… Hell? There are various rumors and conspiracies of the situations that the cast of the 1939 movie, The Wizard Of Oz, went through during the filming. Such as makeup and costumes incidents, hospital trips, abuse, all very sickening situations that each actor went through. We’re not talking about how the movie turned out, we’re talking about the behind the scenes, which can be completely different, one is fantasy, one is real life. 

This movie came out on August 25, 1939. However the movie was made from October 1938 to March 1939, most of the cast worked 6 days a week and had to arrive super early to get into their costumes and get their makeup done. The Cowardly lion’s makeup took the most time to finish, the actor, Bert Lahr, could not eat solid foods after his makeup was done. This actor’s costume was made from an actual lion hide and it weighed around 90lbs, which made the actor struggle even move. The wicked witch, Margaret Hamilton, received second and third-degree burns all over her body due to her green copper makeup that became dangerously hot during the filming of a fire scene. The snow in one of the scenes was pure asbestos, which could give you a lung condition.

The Tin Man’s costume was made of actual metal, so the actor, Jack Haley, couldn't even sit down during the filming of the movie, he also had a violent reaction to silver makeup and had to be sent to the hospital. Judy Garland, the main character, Dorothy, was only 16 years old during her time on set and was given amphetamines, forced to diet, they made her to smoke many cigarettes a day, she struggled with mental health, etc. There is also a legend that says that an actor hanged himself on set during filming, there is even a video trying to prove this. This legend was never evidenced, though it created a lot of controversy. 

For this legend there are various points of view, some people think the “death on set” was actually just a silhouette of a bird in the studio, not someone hanging themselves. On the other hand, some people believe an actor actually committed suicide on set. This movie won 2 awards and received 98% rotten tomatoes… but was it worth it? The production team was obviously not professional, the director, Victor Fleming, would even slap the actors on set for giggling or forgetting their lines. It is absolutely terrifying thinking about what the cast went through. 

I also linked a video of the possible evidence of the death on set.

QUESTIONS:

Have you ever heard about this? Did you find it interesting? 

Do you believe the death on set actually happened or is it only a legend?

Would you be willing to be treated like this if you were paid more than $500 per week? (which was the amount they paid most of the actors)

VIDEO 

INFO

INFO 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have heard about The Wizard of Oz causing some problems because the props and things they used while filming hurt some actors. I thought it was very interesting hearing about all the questions surrounding the movie and what all happened behind the cameras. I think the death set isn't true but the side effects from all the dangerous things they used could have caused death. 

• Bump 

• I have heard of the Wisard of Oz and I think that is is pretty intresting when there is a real vision of if and a kiddish one too so otherp people can like it too if they want to watch it and it is a great movie to watch with anyone.

• I have heard about this conspeiracy on tiktok. I did find this intersting, but I did not do to much research besides tiktok. I do belive that death could have happened on set because of the conditions they were in. I would not think my health is worth any amount of money.

• I actually found out about this on tiktok too! I saw it a really long time ago, I did do a deep research on it, it is very creepy to be honest. I also agree that the death of set might've happened.

• I have never heard about this, but I did find it very interesting. I think that the death on the set happened and they may have been trying to hide it because it would give the movie bad press. I would not be willing to be treated like that even if I was getting paid a lot more than what they were being paid.

• I agree, there is not many information on the death, and the director never really talked about it, they might be trying to hide it. 

• I have never heard of this. I find this very interesting. I think it's scary that this could've happened. I could never imagine what they had to go through. 

• I have not heard about these conspiracy theories and reading them, I do find it very interesting. There's always something bad that is going to happen behind any movie set but I feel like reading this movie's theories, nothing good went on behind set. I think that these theories could be very true but also not true. People tend to always exaggerate situations like these, but also I don't think that people would just make up these theories knowing that this movie is a top hit. 

• I have never heard of this and I think it is interesting. I dont think the deasth situation actually happened because something bigger would have happened and the whole situation would be talked about more by the public. I would not be paid to be treated like this because it is a horrible way to be treated and nody should be treated like this. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker