The history of Track and Field.

Track and field began in the Olympics in Ancient Greece in 776 B.C. The track started blooming in the 1860s. Track and field was created because of religious events and celebrations for the Greek gods so men could show off their athletic abilities. The modern Olympic Games played a significant role in the popularizing of track and field worldwide. The first things created were sprinting races, long jump, and throwing events. There are many more events today that you can participate in. 

Nowadays, Track is a very competitive and popular sport that shows amazing athleticism. The track events now are sprints, hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, and many more. In high school, track is a very good experience, it shows the school your athletic abilities and you get to compete with different schools and people. Track is a very mental sport, you have to be willing to work as hard as you can and to allow yourself to push through very tough races and events. 

I am currently in track and I enjoy it. Although track can be draining at times, I think it is all worth it in the end. I run 400’s, 400 hurdles, and occasionally shuttle hurdles and 100 hurdles. At times these events can be tiring and can get me in the wrong mindset. Ever since I've been participating in track, I've learned that not every race is going to go how you picture it and you will have bad meets which you will have to accept and push yourself to be better next time. 

Sources: 

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Questions:

Do you do track? 

What's your favorite race/event to watch or do? 

Would you ever consider going out for track? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Sports are fun, but they are even more fun when you get to enjoy them along with your friends! 

• I did track freshman year, and even though I am not doing it this year I really love and appreciated the sport. Some races can be really fun to watch and I liked running 100s, 200s, or 400s, I also did long jump. If it worked out I would definetly consider doing track again.

• I enjoyed watching you do track and can't wait to see what soccer has in store for you! 

• I don't do track now but did it in middle school. My favorite event was the 200-meter relay or 400-meter relay, but my favorite event to watch was the 100 meter dash. I probably won't go back out for track I don't find it very fun and I'm not the best at it.

• I have been seeing a lot fo comments that people did track in middle school but not in high school. I feel like to would be cool to see people go out their freshman year and just get an overview of how it is and how much different high school track is from middle school. 

• no I do not like track. I do not like to watch raceing events its just not my thing. no I have never consider to go out for track.

• Track is not for everyone! 

• I don't do track and I never tried it but it will be fun. I don't really like watching sports in my part. I probably will do track but I don't know.

• You can always step outside of your comfort zone and try something new!

• I do like track. I think track is a fun end of the year sport if you have enough friends in it. My favortie race  is relays or the 200 meter dash. I am in track but this year it take a lot of consideration before I joined.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker