The History of the NFL

The NFL was founded in 1920 in Canton, Ohio. When it was founded it was known as the APFA (American Professional Football Association). The first president was Jim Thorpe who was a really good athlete and was in the league. They switched the name to NFL(National Football League) in 1922.

The league started playing with five teams from Ohio which were the Akron Pros, Canton Bulldogs, Cleveland Tigers, Columbus Panhandlers, and Dayton Triangles, four teams from Illinois were the Chicago Tigers, Decatur Stayleys, Racine Cardinals, and Rock Island Independents, two teams from Indiana are Hammond Pros and Muncie Flyers, two teams from New York Buffalo All-Americans and the Rochester Jeffersons and the one Michigan team the Detroit Herolds. Later on, the AFL was a challenge so they ended up merging with the NFL. Once the merger happened in 1970 there were 26 teams in the NFL. Since the merger happened there have been six teams added to the NFL. 

When the NFL was made the equipment was not the greatest but since then there have been major upgrades. Another thing that is different from back then is what they are calling flags for which I guess is opinion based. People thing that the NFL has a fun problem because of all of the taunting flags that are being thrown and that some players will get fined for stuff like that. Even though their have been changes for good and changes that some people don't like the NFL is still a very popular sport in America.

What is your favorite NFL team? 

What do you think of the equipment from back then to now?

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/National-Football-League

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My favorite NFL team is the Chiefs and because I am a Chiefs fan, I hope the Chiefs win the superbowl. I think that the equipment has changed in a lot of different ways and I think it's been for the better so far. 

• I think the NFL has come a long way regarding the equipment they use to play football. the equipment that has been designed to protect the players better when they have a head-to-head collision or anything else that could increase the risk of injury. 

• The improvements the NFL has made is very incredible and that it is protecting these players from head injuries. Even though their are still head injuries they are not as bad now.

• My favorite NFL team is mostly infulenced by the people I hang out with. My family likes the Cheifs and Packers. I think that the equitment has really improved to keep the athetes safer. I am hoping Packers win but that is a very low chance so I do not know.

• My favorite team is the Green Bay Packers. To see the two sets of equipment by each other is crazy to see. Just imagine getting into a head to head contact with the first helmet. Instant concussion. The ravens are going to dominate the 49ers in the superbowl.

• I do think with all the improvement in pads is very important especially because do to all the new equipment to improve plays streangth and athleticism better pads is very important.

• My favorite football team currently is the Chiefs, Ive gone to a few games and enjoy watching football. I think equipment has changed for the better and needs to continue to improve for the safety of the players. I could see the 49ers winning the superbowl this year.

• I do not have a favorite NFL team. But because my parents grew up in missouri, I will chose the Cheifs. I think that the equipment from way back when, was much more dangerous. The helmets to start looked more like buckets than the speedflex helmets today. I think that the ravens or 49ers will be in the superbowl and the ravens will win. 

• I do agree the equipment is better and the speedflexes are a huge upgrade but their is also more helmets that are new and we are seeing it in the NFL. I do think that is a high possibility for a super bowl.

• My favorite NFL team is the Kansas City Chiefs. I think the equipment from the 1900's was way worse than what they have today. I think the Ravens or the 49ers will win.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker