The History of the Columbine High School Shooting

The Columbine High School massacre is known as the deadliest high school shooting in America.  The horrific shooting took place on April 20th, 1999 in Colorado. The shooters, who were seniors, were Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Previous to the massacre, the two students were reported for threatening students and saying they wanted to kill people. These two teenagers killed 12 students and 1 staff member during the shooting and injured over 21 other students and staff members.

The shooting happened in roughly 30 minutes. The two students come into the school with duffle bags around 11:20 am. Firstly they entered the cafeteria placing bombs that were planned to go off during the busiest lunch hour. Once they placed the bombs they went back out into the parking lot and waited for the bombs to explode. Upon realizing that the bombs failed, they headed back into the school. 

The beginning of the shooting was started by Klebold tossing a bomb into the parking lot. The bomb partially exploded which caused some students, who were on their lunch break, to be alarmed. The first victim of the shooting was Rachel Scott while she was eating lunch with her friend in front of the school's entrance. Next, the shooters made their way to the cafeteria, while on their way they were shooting at students in the hallways, One of the students was Lance Kirklin. Lance was shot 4 times and on the ground calling for help, Klebold walked up to him and said, “Sure man I’ll help you”, then proceeded to shoot him in the face. When the students entered the library witnesses said that they were targeting athletes and people of color. Hiding under a table were sophomores Craig Scott, Matthew Kechter, and senior Isaiah Shoels. Upon discovering Isaiah, who was a person of color, they taunted him by calling him slurs and then shot and killed him. By 11:35 am, the two students had already killed 12 students and wounded more than 10 people. According to the police, around noon, the two students turned the guns in and committed suicide shortly after. 

This shooting changed how people looked at schools around America. Many schools enforced a “zero-tolerance” rule regarding disruptive behavior and threatening words or acts. Mark Manes, the man who sold the gun to Harris and 100 rounds of ammunition, was sentenced to 6 years in prison. Many people tried suing the school for injuries but the judged dissmissed the cases. The Columbine High School shooting was the deadliest high school shooting in America and still has an impact on schools today. 

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Would you try to sue the school after a incident like this?

Would you ever feel safe going back to school?

https://www.history.com/topics/1990s/columbine-high-school-shootings

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/us/columbine-high-school-shootings-fast-facts/index.html

https://courses.bowdoin.edu/history-2203-fall-2020-ecahill2/narrative-of-the-event/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I wouldn't feel safe returning to school because it shows that school security isn't perfect. I would sue the school because they failed to keep their students safe which had many people injured and/or killed. If I was in this situation I would find a way to leave the school and get to safety.

• I agree, but I also think that the school did what they could. They didn't predict this and this was the biggest school shooting and nobody was ready for it.

• If i was into the situation i would start to be very quiet and not even start to talk and after I would hurry and bang down the door to leave from it so i dont have to get shot or hurt or it wpuld try and run home out of the school and not come back for a few days. I kind of wouldnt go and try to do any of the sueing so i didnt have to be a part of anything or talk about it eaither i would have just let it go and think of something else that i would like to talk about it. very last think i would really wouldnt want to come back to the school becuase i would feel like it would go and happen again so i would leave and move to a different country to a different country to feel save in a really different school.

• I agree. I don't think I would want to go back to school. I probably wouldn't go back to the same school where the shooting was.

• if i was in this situation i would break a window and run. I would not try to sue the school becasue it is not the schools falt but I think thay should higher more security. I do not think I would not be comfortble going to school after that i'd probably be home schooled.

• I think that breaking a window could be smart as long as you know someone safe is outside.

• If i was in this situation I would probably try to run out of the school as fast as I can and get as far away. No I would not try and sue the school after an incident liek this. I would not feel safe going back to school, someday I don't feel safe without there being a ;school shooter. 

• I agree. I think it would take a long time for me to feel okay to go back to school. I would probably move schools or do online.

• If I was in this situation, I would probably be terrified, but I would try to find a good spot for me to hide, that could keep me safe for a while. I don't think that I would sue the school for this happening. If students start a school shooting, the school is most likely not the one to blame. I think that it would be hard for me to go back to school, if this ever happened to me.

• I agree. You can't blame the school for something that happened and they couldn't control it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker