The History of the Columbine High School Shooting

The Columbine High School massacre is known as the deadliest high school shooting in America.  The horrific shooting took place on April 20th, 1999 in Colorado. The shooters, who were seniors, were Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Previous to the massacre, the two students were reported for threatening students and saying they wanted to kill people. These two teenagers killed 12 students and 1 staff member during the shooting and injured over 21 other students and staff members.

The shooting happened in roughly 30 minutes. The two students come into the school with duffle bags around 11:20 am. Firstly they entered the cafeteria placing bombs that were planned to go off during the busiest lunch hour. Once they placed the bombs they went back out into the parking lot and waited for the bombs to explode. Upon realizing that the bombs failed, they headed back into the school. 

The beginning of the shooting was started by Klebold tossing a bomb into the parking lot. The bomb partially exploded which caused some students, who were on their lunch break, to be alarmed. The first victim of the shooting was Rachel Scott while she was eating lunch with her friend in front of the school's entrance. Next, the shooters made their way to the cafeteria, while on their way they were shooting at students in the hallways, One of the students was Lance Kirklin. Lance was shot 4 times and on the ground calling for help, Klebold walked up to him and said, “Sure man I’ll help you”, then proceeded to shoot him in the face. When the students entered the library witnesses said that they were targeting athletes and people of color. Hiding under a table were sophomores Craig Scott, Matthew Kechter, and senior Isaiah Shoels. Upon discovering Isaiah, who was a person of color, they taunted him by calling him slurs and then shot and killed him. By 11:35 am, the two students had already killed 12 students and wounded more than 10 people. According to the police, around noon, the two students turned the guns in and committed suicide shortly after. 

This shooting changed how people looked at schools around America. Many schools enforced a “zero-tolerance” rule regarding disruptive behavior and threatening words or acts. Mark Manes, the man who sold the gun to Harris and 100 rounds of ammunition, was sentenced to 6 years in prison. Many people tried suing the school for injuries but the judged dissmissed the cases. The Columbine High School shooting was the deadliest high school shooting in America and still has an impact on schools today. 

What would you do if you were in this situation?

Would you try to sue the school after a incident like this?

Would you ever feel safe going back to school?

https://www.history.com/topics/1990s/columbine-high-school-shootings

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/18/us/columbine-high-school-shootings-fast-facts/index.html

https://courses.bowdoin.edu/history-2203-fall-2020-ecahill2/narrative-of-the-event/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be scared, i would not freak out, im a person who is calm in bad situations. No I would not sue the school, it would depend on if i got shot and didn't die. I honeslty wouldn't feel safe for a long time. And i know the security can't be perfect, but it can be improved.

• I personally think that i would freak out in this situation and not know what to do.

• if i was in this situation id try to leave or make sure im safe in some way and as far as posibble from them. it just depends on what happned to me if i was injored then yes i would try to sue because the school failed to protect me and i was hurt on school property. i dont think id ever go back to school after something like that. id be to scared of it happaning again.

• I agree, but I also wouldn't sue the school because they most likely tried their hardest to protect us, but there is only so much that they can do.

• If I were in a situation like this I would try to escape the building as fast as I can and try not to be seen. I don't think I would sue the school because it can be hard to prevent something like that in a big school. I would not return to school for a while because it would not feel safe enough for me. 

• I agree. I'm sure that the school tried their hardest to keep everyone safe, but there is only so much that they can do. 

• I would not feel safe because there would not be a very strong security system. I would definitely sue the school because they failed to maintain a safe environment for the students to learn in. I'm not 100% sure what I would do in this situation.

• I agree, but also the school didn't really know it was coming so they really couldn't do a lot. Now schools are more ready if situations like this happen.

• If I was in this type of situation I would either try to escape the school, and I would not sue the school though as they can't control the situation. I would feel safe going back to school but the school would need to increase their security.

• I agree. I don't know when I would be ready to go back to school becuase I would not feel safe for awhile. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker