The History of Snowboarding

The History of Snowboarding

As we know, skiing and snowboarding are very popular in areas that have mountains and receive good amounts of snow. However, snowboarding has a very interesting background and it’s very cool to see the improvement in the history of snowboarding. The idea of snowboarding came from a surfer and started out different from what  snowboards are today.

The first snowboard came from a surfer named Sherman Poppen. In the 1960’s, he made a board called the snurfer. This board was made of wood and it had a rope on the nose of the board in which you would pull and hold on to. As it became more popular, it was tough because ski resorts wouldn’t allow these new boards on their mountains. People had to wait till mountains closed and then hike up them to snowboard.

Then eventually in the late 70’s, a 23 year old student named Jake Burton had the idea to add footstraps to the board which changed the experience of snowboarding. In the late 80’s and early 90’s, snowboarding started to become a sport competition and the snurfer board declined. At this time, people had invented the first ever high-back bindings. This made snowboarders feel much more stable and comfortable on their board. 

In the mid 1990’s, snowboarding became the fastest growing winter sport on the planet. Ski resorts flourished and snowboarders were allowed on mountains. These days, around 7.56 million people snowboard. Now there are different shapes of snowboards, there are step on bindings, and the technology continues to improve.

Have you ever gone snowboarding/skiing?

What do you think about snowboarding?

In the 70’s, would it be worth it to hike part of the mountain and board down?

https://www.freethepowder.com/pages/history-of-snowboarding 

https://www.statista.com/topics/1770/winter-sports/#topicOverview 

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/history-of-snowboarding

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• ive tried to snowboared it is very intresting thing. i think if i owned one id like it a lot more ive tried it a couple of time and ive enjoyed it. yes of course it would be one of those thign id love to try if i lived in that time period.

• I have gone snowboarding, I enjoy snowboarding and do it every year when it snows. I don't travel anywhere to snowboard as I have a couple of big hills around my house but I think it would be cool to go somewhere to go snowboarding. I think it would be worth it if you enjoy hiking and also enjoy snowboarding.

• I have never went Snowboarding in my life but I relize that maybe it will be so much fun after I did see a lot of other people that i did know that was Snowboarding so i always wanted to try it but i started to get kind of scared about maybe what would happen if i would of got hurt if i did fly off it really hard. Also I might try Snowboarding one day if i want to do it.

• No I have not went snowboarding or skiing before but I think that it seems pretty fun. However I'd be scared to go hiking (many suspense movies are proof of why this is a bad idea) Snowboarding is a pretty interesting activity and something that not many people can do. 

• I think I have gone snowboarding before but I am not for sure if I have. I think that snowboarding is pretty fun and interesting because it takes a lot of balance to do it. I think in the 70's that it would be worth it but not back and forth though just going once it does suck but with the tech that we have it makes it a lot easier to enjoy snowboarding.

• I agree that it takes some good balance and not many people can do it. Also back then it would've been way harder since snowboarders had to hike. I think I could only hike up like 2 or maybe 3 times but it would be very tiring.

• No i havent but ive been invited to, i thinks its nice to sliding down the snow and would be pretty interesting to do. it would suck to climb the mountain and just going down but with the technology we got that seat thing that takes you up

• I have never gone snowboarding or skiing but I would probally try. I think snow boarding would be cool but i have seen a video of someone that was stuck under a whole bunch of snow. If i won't climb up a little hill to go sled down it, i won't be climbing up a mountain .

• Haha yeah it would be super tiring to hike up a mountain while it is already tiring to go down. Believe it or not, a lot of people get a burn in their feet and calves while snowboarding. It is scary to think that people have gotten stuck under the snow, however that mostly happens way up in the mountains where the snow is very deep.

• I have never been snowboarding, I have done guetto snowboarding in my backyard a few times but that is not as complex and fun as actual powder. I think that snowboarding looks super fun. I would love to go sometime. I think that hiking the mountial and boarding down is 100% worth it. You get a workout and get to have fun. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker