The history of March Madness

The first ever men's March Madness tournament was in 1939. The March Madness tournament was actually overshadowed by another tournament that was more prestigious at the time. The NIT or also known as the National invitation tournament featured the best teams. As time went on March Madness began to grow and more of the top teams started to participate. By 1967 the March Madness tournament became the more established tournament as UCLA had won 7 consecutive titles in it. In 1939 the tournament started with only 8 teams, by 1985 it was a total of 64 teams. In 2001 the first ever “Play-in-Game” was added and by 2011 the NCAA had added 3 more “Play-in-games” since then there has been a total of 68 teams with a total of 8 teams having to play in a “Play-in-game” it has now been 85 years since the first March Madness tournament and is now one of the biggest tournaments in college if not in the nation. 

The first ever women’s March Madness tournament was held in 1982 and had a total of 32 teams. It had expanded to 64 in 1994 and then was later expanded to 68 in 2022. In the Women's first ever March Madness tournament Louisian tech played against Cheyney state, Louisian tech won and was crowned as the first ever women’s March Madness Tournament victor. 

As the years have gone on March Madness has become more and more popular, there are now challenges for people to create their own perfect bracket prediction. Many companies have used this as a way to promote their product such as Nissan who has a March Madness bracket and if you win, you can win a brand new Nissan car. 

Do you watch March Madness?

Do you have a favorite team in this year's March Madness?

Have you participated in making March Madness Brackets?

Sources

Sources

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done Jake! I would like to see you personal thoughts within your summary.

• I have watched a little bit of March Madness. It has been playing in some of my classes, or study hall. I don't really have a preference on a certain team playing. I might've partipated before making a march madness bracket, but not super recently. Maybe next year.

• I dont actually watch the games, but I like to see the end scores and who wins and stuff. I don't really have a favorite team because I don't watch them. I did participate in making March Madness Brakets, but because I don't really know any of the teams I spun a wheel to decide.

• I watch quite a bit of march madness and enjoy it very much. I usually just watch the teams that I have on my bracket. I don't have a favortie team in the bracket this year. Yes I have participated in the brackets, but I haven't been doing so good lately in my bracket. 

• I'm not a big fan of basketball so I don't watch much of it, but I stay updated on march madness from time to time. I haven't been that intrueged this year as I have been in the past though, so ive fallen behind onthe teams and brackets. 

• I do not usually watch March Madness but I think it is a fun way for teams to face off against each other, but also for people to get involved and watch more basketball. Once in a while, I fill out a bracket just for the fun it, to see if I do decent.

• i do watch it from time to time usally only watch when iowa plays i dont make brackets just a waste of time.

• I do not watch any March Maddness games, and I really don't care who wins. Some years I will fill out a bracket just to see how close I can get while guessing. Making brackets is a fun activity many sports fans can participate in. 

• I do watch March Madness. My favorite team is Iowa State and they just made the Sweet 16. I have participated in march madness brackets but they always seem to bust right away.

• I agree with you, i think all of my bracket busted after the first day, most of my brackets got ruined because of BYU when they lost to duquesne.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker