The history of makeup

Makeup has been around since 400 BCE (Before Common Era) it started with the Egyptians doing eyeliner to white powders to lighten skin tone and green eye color to represent different gods. Romans used different cosmetics during the 1st century. Kohl was used for multiple reasons like, darkening eyelashes, and eyelids. Women used lead and chalk on their faces. Persian women used henna to stain their hands and hair. They believed that this would summon different types of gods. During the Middle Ages, light skin was a sign of wealth. In the Thirteenth century, women bought pink lipstick to prove they could afford synthetic makeup. 

As you can see makeup has advanced throughout the centuries. Through different centuries different types of makeup was more popular. Different cultures also have had different types of makeup used. In the 20th century, women started to apply makeup to take pictures. Mirrors became for affordable at this time. The makeup ingredients changed too. While some cultures used natural ingredients those can be harmful. But once makeup companies started making their products out of different moisturizing products, water, oil, wax mixed with a filler like talc. There are also different types of pigments that make it so foundation covers your skin. 

Do you think that makeup will change a lot more over the years? 

Do you think makeup has become too much over the years? 

https://people.howstuffworks.com/about-makeup5.htm 

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-did-we-start-wearing-makeup#:~:text=We%20get%20our%20first%20glimpse,as%20early%20as%204000%20BCE.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think makeup will change more through out the years. Make up is constantly changing and coming out with new formulas and colors. I think makeup is very intresting now. I think that make up should not be a shameful thing if it makes people confidnet.

• I think that make up will change a lot over the years. With changes in the ingredients, new products, and new ways of using it. I think that make up has come a long way. When makeup 1first came around, most people didn't wear a lot but then started wearing a lot more.

• I think makeup will continue to improve and envolve into something bigger and better like all things in our world. Personally, I believe people should be able to do what they want with their makeup and can express themselves with it. 

• I think that it will change a bit over year, I think that makeup has gotten too much because I have seen some videos where people look like a whole different person with makeup

• Yes I think that makeup will change a lot more over the years as like many other things. Lately many other makeup products have become trendy but I think that's why it seems like it has become too much, many people go overboard with what they buy even though they don't need it, maybe that's why it seems to be a lot.

• I thinl that makeup has come a long long way since it was first made, it has evolved with all the new eras the world has been through. Women have changed their style and made differnet types of makeup looks and makeup brands. I think over the years makeup has been too relied on, women dont see their natural beauty. 

• I think that the makeup trends are always changing and they will continue changing in the future. It will probably be a lot different in the future because of new technology and materials. I think that makeup has gotten to be too much, because when people put it on, they completely change how they look like. 

• I think with any type of makeup I do think it has just started to become just too much over a lot of they years and when like a new product of makeup does start to come out it starts to become a lot of money to buy mostly any any of it.

• I think makeup has become a little bit too much, because some people cover up their true faces to where they look a lot different when they take the makeup off. However, I think makeup inventors will keep coming up with new ideas, and more and more peopl will start to wear makeup ALL the time.

• Yes, makeup has already improved over the years, and as many things, it will keep improving and changing a lot. They all sorts of types of makeup for many things, which shows the improvement. I think they have added many things but it is not too much, it's people preferences. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker