The history behind prohibition

Prohibition took place during the 19th century on January 17th, 1920 and ended on December 5th, 1933. Prohibition was a nationwide constitutional ban on the production, transportation, and importation of alcoholic beverages. It was mandated by the 18th amendment. The goal of prohibition was to reduce crimes such as 09 domestic violence and workplace inefficiency. 

Instead of making things easier or better, prohibition did the opposite. Prohibition led to an increase in crimes, corruption and bootlegging. Al Capone had the biggest gang during this time period and he was very successful in selling alcohol illegally. During this time period speakeasies were very popular. Speakeasies were hiddden bars that would often offer live music or some sort of entertainment. Despite the risk most Americans would still continue to consume beverages highlighting the failure of prohibition.

In the end the government realized that prohibition was a terrible idea so in 1933, the 21st amendment was ratified, repealing the 18th amendment causing this to end prohibition.  This was the only time in history that a constitutional amendment was ratified to repeal another. 

In conclusion, prohibition was meant to decrease the amount of crimes we had but it ultimately did the opposite. 

Do you think prohibition was a good idea?

Do you think we should have prohibition again?

Why do you think prohibition failed? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think prohibition was a bad thing at the time. I don't think prohibition would work because people would just sneak it and find other ways to drink. Prohibition failed because it caused crimes and bootlegging.

• I think prohibiton was good at first but it went downhill fast. I agree it failed because it caused a lot of crimes but people would find ways to sneak it. 

• I dont think prohibition is a good idea because people just found a way around it. Most people who want alcohol or something illegal bad enough will find a way to get it. That means prohibition only stopped the innocent people from during or the people that are doing it right.

• I think at the time it could really be somthing great if they really renforced the law and had more people to keep people from drinking and doing stuff. i think if it gets worse and higher crime rate it could possibly come back but most likely not 

• I think prohibition was a good idea, but not completely thought through. I don't think they considered consequences of prohibition. I think it failed because people still sold and made alcohol, but now it was illegal, and it made the industry more dangerous than before, which ultimately counteracted the main reason for prohibition.

• Prohibition was not a bad idea but it caused many problems for civilians. I don't think prohibition would be a good idea today to many people would complain and maybe take force to get back what they want. If they wanted it to stay they should've kept it the first time and people would've been over it by now.  

• I feel like prohibition made people act out and try to secretly get drinks. I feel like prohibition was not a good idea. Today, I feel like we should never do prohibition again, It will just make people act sketchy. I think prohibition failed because It wasn't really realisitc,

• I agree prohibition was not a good idea and we should not have it again. People will most likely act out again and I agree it failed because it wasn't realistic. 

• I don't think prohibition was a good idea, it didn't do a thing. People will always find a way to make or get their alcohol. I don't think we should have prohibition again, I think the drinking age is perfect, and I think that drinking is okay in moderation. If you're a crazy drunk and you're hurting others or driving while drunk you should be in jail. 

• I agree people will always find a way to drink if they wanted to. The drinking age is perfect right now. I also agree with "drinking in moderation is okay" if you can control yourself then it's okay. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker