On January 30, a 16-year-old named Maarib Al Hishmawi was reported missing. She was found in mid-March, being cared for by an organization that asists girls in Maarib's life situation. Maarib felt her only option was to run away because her parents had arranged a marriage for her, which she refused. After denying the marriage proposal, her parents abused Maarib by beating her with a broomstick followed by a series of hot cooking oil poured over her body. Her parents were furious about her refusal because they were promised $20,000 for arranging their daughter's marriage with a specific man. 

Now that the authorities are aware of these events, the police incarcerated Maarib's parents, charging them for continuous violoence against a family member. Maarib's five younger siblings are now all in custody of Child Protective Services. Police have divulged that the man who would have been Maarib Al Hishmawi's groom may also be charged. 

To see the full story, click here!

Questions:

1. If you belonged to this culture, would you agree to an arranged marriage, knowing that it would help your parents out (possibly financially)?

Assuming my parents would have my best interests, I would hope that they would arrange my marriage with someone I actually loved. If that was the case, I'd be all for an arranged marriage, but if they picked some guy off the street that would pay them to marry me, I would not agree to the situation at all.

2. If you were a parent, would you arrange a marriage for your daughter so that you could recieve monetary compensation?

I would never arrange a marriage for an of my children because that is not the culture I belond to, and personally, I don't believe it's very ethical to use a child's marriage as a chance to get a paycheck.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Super job Rachel!

• 1. I wouldn't follow the culture if parent want me too unless they force me into it I would like to marry to someone I want to be with.

2. No, I want my daughter to marry to someone she love and be happy after they marry.

• What a considerate parent you will be some day! After (hypothetical) generations of your family following the tradition of arranging marriages for a family, it would take immense courage to change that tradition.

•  I would not agree to an arranged marriage. It is against one of my forms of freedom. Anyone shall love whomever they choose willingly. I would not arrange a marriage for my daughter. Like I stated, it goes against one of my forms of freedom.

• Yeah, you would think everyone would see arranging marriages as restricting the freedom of women, but it's sad to say some cultures don't recognize it. I wish everyone could just agree that evergyone should love whomever they want to love.

• I would probably not go along with an arragned marriage unless I knew the person for a long time and I was completely aware of the marriage happening. If I was a parent, I would probably not arrange a marriage for my child unless it was absolutely necessary, and if I did, I would try to make sure it was in my child's best interest.

• I think that's a good point! In the cultures typically associated with arranged marriages, the daughter's family tends to rely on the benefits of having a marriaged daughter. However, it's unfortunate that that man to marry is not always the best match or in the best interest for the daughter.

• If my parents actually thought of the best man for me when picking out a marraige, and I could potentially help my family if they were poor then I would agree. But I wouldn't agree to a random person because I would want to be happy in life and not bogged down by an unhappy marriage. I would never do that to my children, because I would rather them live a happy life than me get money that would be used up quickly.

•  If my parents were working and the guy wasn't a horrible person or abusive then I would marry him as part of the culture. I wouldn't set the marriage up unless the circumstances were right and I really needed the money.

• No, I wouldn't agree to an arranged marriage for money because my parents may not even need it and are being greedy and if they wanted me to do that so badly I would feel like they value their love for money over their love for me. I wouldn't force my child to marry somone they don't love and if I was in very desperate need for money I would find other possible ways to sustain liveable conditions. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker