Smoking Banned In Mexico.

As of January 15, 2023 Smoking is officially banned in all public places in Mexico. This includes resorts, beaches, and stores, etc. residents are only allowed to smoke in their homes. Mexico has become extremely strict with this law and those found guilty of abusing it have multiple repercussions. These include fines of up to 550$ and even possible jail time. Many are outraged by this decision. The Mexican government has claimed to prevent and control chronic and noncommunicative diseases caused by tobacco. But many have claimed that this with actually have more of a negative impact on Mexican residents. People fear that by banning smoking Mexico will struggle economically. The ban on smoking could cause Mexico to lose a lot of its tourists and money. People also might choose other destinations for their vacation spots if they know they can't smoke.   "It's both good and bad at the same time. It's good because smoking is harmful, but at the same time it's bad because you should be able to do whatever you want with your health," said one resident.10993570901?profile=RESIZE_180x180

People won't come in for drinks anymore because everyone smokes nowadays, everyone wants to smoke. So, our sales are going to go down," one waitress explained.

Overall smoking being banned in Mexico may have Positive affects on people's health but negative effects on Mexican businesses/economy. I personally believe that banning smoking in Mexico is a good thing.

What do you think? 

Would you like to see smoking banned in USA? Explain. 

Do you think banning smoking in Mexico will positively or negatively affect them?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Mylee. Be sure to comment back on three different days, +8

• I think that smoking being  banned in Mexico will save many lives in the long run. But it will also increase the crime rate due to the number of people that were addicted to cigarettes being forced to use them illegally. I don't think that smoking will get banned here because of vaping.

• It is probably good that smoking is banned in public places in Mexico. By banning smoking in public areas, children may be less exposed to it and have a good influence in their life telling them not to smoke. I don't care if people smoke in the U.S.A because it would just be another government regulation that police have to enforce.

• I think that the ban of smoking is a bad thing because it could completely kill some businesses in mexico, and crime rates are going to go up because of the people that are addicted to smoking. I wouldn't like to see smoking banned because it is putting control over people which our government shouldn't do.

• Personally, I think Mexico banning smoking was a great idea. It could prevent most people from at least starting smoking which will protect their long-term health. There may be some people who have been impacted negatively by the new ban, but generally I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

• In my personal opinion, I think that Mexico made a very good decision by banning smoking. Mexico making this decision will improve the health and safety of all of its citizens. This will eliminate the negative effects of second-hand smoke and hopefully discourage people to smoke. 

• I think that this will be healthy for the population of the United States. However, I think that this will be hard to ban.  It will turn into something like prohibition in the 1920s. People will find a way to get their hands on things to smoke.  I like this idea but I think that it will be hard to enforce.

• I think it is a good thing that smoking was banned. it shows they care about the health of their citizens. although, i think that some people may not like this, and they will avoid traveling to mexico in the future because they need to smoke. so just maybe, the united states should ban smoking as well. 

• In my personal opinion, I think that Mexico made a good decision for the health and safety of its citizens. Not only will this ban help protect people that smoke by hopefully discouraging them to do so, it will help eliminate the negative effects of second-hand smoke. 

• I agree its good fro citizens health!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker