Should we keep Unmarked Police Cars?

Should we keep undercover/unmarked cops? Though those ones are marked and can pull you over, are unmarked police cars really necessary?

Overall, undercover policing has been a very effective route in policing. Undercover police cars control the movement of traffic. When people know there may be a cop they tend to follow traffic laws better. When no cops are easily seen, they loosen up on the laws. Having unmarked police cars out can worry some people into obeying the laws. Many crimes tend to happen where police cars are not. Having unmarked cars can secure the area better and catch criminals. The use of unmarked cars may seem unfair, but it ensures safety for the public. In Iowa, it is legal for there to be Unmarked police cars. If the police officer is not in uniform, they must be in a marked police car, but if they are in uniform, they may be in an unmarked police car. 

Many people do not enjoy being pulled over, especially by someone they didn’t even know was around. Unmarked cop cars blend into traffic. Unmarked cars are sometimes difficult to identify. If an unmarked car tries to pull you over some would think it wasn’t a cop because it has no marking. Unmarked cars can lead to people impersonating the police and abduction rates increase. Some people will not end up obeying the police orders if they are unmarked. 

Personally, I have seen an unmarked police car pull someone over before, and I don't think they should be banned. We don't have very many unmarked cars in Iowa, and I think it is fine. We should be obeying the laws at all times, so it shouldn't matter if they are marked or not, but I do see why some would find it very aggravating to have them. If you live in a bigger city, you may not realize when they are trying to pull you over. But in Small town Harlan, we don't have this problem, especially since we don't have a police department anymore. 

Do you think unmarked cop cars should be banned? Why or why not? 

Have you ever seen an unmarked police car do anything? 

Do you think the unmarked police cars really affect us in any way? 

https://www.police1.com/traffic-patrol/articles/state-your-case-should-law-enforcement-agencies-use-unmarked-vehicles-for-traffic-enforcement-xwAYbYyleWP6BWLW/#:~:text=Unmarked%20police%20vehicles%2C%20should%20have,police%20vehicle%2C%20they%20drive%20better

https://www.lib.niu.edu/1956/im5608153b.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with this, in a small town in Iowa we shouldn't need tons of undercover cop cars because we aren't that big of a city/town.

• I don't think that unmarked police cars should be banned because they can be very useful in stopping crimes. They can approach crime scenes easier. If you are obeying all traffic laws it shouldn't be an issue that there are undercover cops on the roads.

• I agree, they can be very useful in stopping crimes and crime scenes. It shouldn't be an issue if you are obeying the laws

• I think undercover cops are stupid. I dont understand why they cant just stay in there police car because if I had an undercover cop pulling me over I would think its some kind of joke and more then likely I would not be pulling over. I have seen so many undercover cops in harlan and I hate them there is no need to be undercover in a town as small as harlan. 

• I agree, we shouldn't need an undercover cop in Harlan. Maybe 2 cars max that they can use. If an undercover car were to pull me over I, personally, would also think it is a joke and that someone is pranking me. 

• I think they should be banned because it gives a disadvantage to citizens when driving because naturally if you are going a little over the speed limit and see a cop, you will slow down. But if the cars are unmarked most people are more likely to get in accidents because of speeding. 

• I never thought of it this way before, although it does give citizens an unfair disadvantage, it gives an advantage to the ones who are obeying the laws, it helps keep the people who are speeding off of the roads as much and keep the ones that aren't more safe. 

• I think unmarked police cars are a good thing. I think that they are good because they are undercover and it makes it easier for them to catch criminals. People do not usually commit crimes around the police. It is good that the police can go undercover and catch more criminals.

• I agree, it is a good thing that they can go undercover and catch criminals. 

• I don't think that the unmarked police cars should be banned, because they are doing the same thing that they were doing before, except they can do some of it better. Since they are undercover, they can come upon crime scenes easier. The only reason I think that they are not good, is because police officers are designed to help people. If an average civilian needs help, they might not even recognize an unmarked car as a cop and this could worry them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker