Should we continue to use the Selective Service System?

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the draft, whether from current news about expanding its regulations or hearing about it in our classes. The question is, is it really necessary today?

The Selective Service System is a system that prepares the United States for a possible draft. Men aged 18-25 are required to register for military service during peacetime. If the military doesn’t have enough personnel during a war, Congress and the President may issue a draft. The government needs to know who is elligible for military service. This is where the Selective Service System comes in, providing information of all elligible men. While many people are in support of this system (even wanting to expand it to women), others feel that it is unnecessary and outdated.

Men have been drafted in wars throughout our country’s history. Ever since the start of the draft, people have protested it and started riots. The first version of the Selective Service System was used in 1917.  In 1948, the Selective Service Act was introduced following the World War II draft. This act laid a foundation for the system we have today. 

People in support of the Selective Service System and the draft believe that it is necessary to protect the country. They believe that the system acts as a contingency plan that the country can fall back on. There is a concern of a lack of volunteers if the United States ever does go to war. Many also argue that women should be allowed to register because they are equal to men. 

There are also many people opposed to the Selective Service System and the draft. They believe that the draft doesn't have much use, and argue that the military will have sufficient volunteers and public support regardless of whether the Selective Service System is in place. They also argue that the people who have registered for Selective Service are not instantly ready for battle, and that they still need training. In addition, during the conflicts with Iraq and Afghanistan, military forces were expanded without the need of a draft. Casualty levels were also extremely low, and support of the military stayed high even without support of the wars themselves. 

Personally, I don't think the Selective Service System and the draft are fully necessary, and I do think they are a little outdated. The US should focus on a volunteering system. I don't think a lack of volunteers for military service is an issue. We already have a strong military force. I also think the public will continue to support our military. However, I understand the people who want to keep it for extra security or in case of emergency, but with significantly fewer casualties in recent years, I feel more confident. 

Do you think the Selective Service System should be used today?

Do you think women should be required to register?

Would you want to be drafted?

Sources:

https://www.heritage.org/defense/commentary/the-draft-should-be-left-out-the-cold

https://afsc.org/news/its-time-end-not-expand-selective-service-system

https://www.sss.gov/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Love this topic and super job Jada! The question is when will women have to register.

• I don't think that the Selective Service System is really needed currently. I think that many people enlist in the military currently, and if we fight in a war, we should go off of them and volunteers before using everyday civilians. I believe that if we draft all eligible men, we should include women to help with equality. 

• I think so too. If we really needed a draft, I think it would only be fair if we included women as well as men.

• I think that we don't really need the Selective service system. I think that they can if they want to but it would never have to be mandatory for all women to do it. I would get to be drafted because I think that not a lot of people do and I could make someone else not have to.

• I don't think the Selective Service System should be used unless it is a last resort. I personally don't think that women should be required to register for the draft. I would not want to be drafted, but I think if I really needed to, I would do it. 

• I wouldn't like to be drafted either, but I would do it if I had to. I would want to serve my country in this way if it was needed.

• No, I don't think it should be used today because people who don't or want to do it can make their on desicion instead of being selected for it. I mean if their is woman that want to do it then those woman can do it. I wouldn't want to be drafted.

• I think it could continue to be used based on individual preference, so that no one feels obliged to go and I think that this way it would be easier to work with those who attend, although I don't think there are too many people who want to attend by their own decision. The same for women. For now I'm not sure but it's not something that scares me either, maybe I would like to be drafted.

• I wouldn't want to be drafted, but I agree that this isn't something that scares me. I think it would be a good idea to go off of individual preference.

• I do not think that we should use the Selective Service System unless it was absolutely necessary. I do not think that women should be required to register for the Selective Service System. I would not want to be drafted or be in the Selective Service System.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker