Should TikTok be banned?

Should TikTok be banned?

Recently, there has been a lot of controversy on if TikTok should be banned or not. Some people find it necessary and some people think the complete opposite. The house of representatives recently passed a bill to ban TikTok. Originally, it was Donald Trump’s idea to ban TikTok. It was Joe Biden who was somewhat against the ban. Now, it is the opposite. Donald Trump promises not to ban TikTok if he wins the 2024 presidential election and Joe Biden is trying to take TikTok away. It was unanimously approved by the Energy and Commerce Committee with a vote of 50 to 0.

More than 150 million Americans use TikTok and both people who use it and don’t are wondering if it is safe. Like all social media apps of course there are scams for things like followers, romance, and investment scams. One thing about Tik Tok is it doesn’t secure your information like Facebook does, which makes it untrustworthy and dangerous.

If TikTok was banned, influencers all around the world would lose all followers and would have to start all over on platforms like Instagram and Facebook, which could be banned in the future as well. Shira, a TikTok influencer says, "TikTok has cultivated a huge community of people who discuss politics and current affairs without it being altered by propaganda. A lot of us just want to know the truth. The whole TikTok ban is clearly a tactic to control the narrative." Brandon Hurst, another influencer says, “These representatives and senators don’t understand that what they’re doing won’t just harm people they call ‘content creators.’ It would hurt small businesses.” Personally, I agree. I think that a lot of people have made a living off of TikTok. Especially because of a new feature on TikTok called, “TikTok shop” which gives creators the ability to sell their own items which TikTok then offers coupons for making it more affordable, which equals out to more people buying. 

What do you think? Should TikTok be banned? Or should it be kept?

Do you use TikTok? How often?

Do you think TikTok is safe to use?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think it should be banned and that people are overeacting and trying to get it banned. I use tiktok I don't know how often a day but probably around an hour. I think its save to use but there are some problems that need to be fixed but its only bad for younger children.

• i think tiktok should honestly there are so many othere apps that do that anyways. i dont have tiktok i did for a while but i got over it and relized how dumb it was. i mean ig it just depends what you see on it and what you consider unsafe.

• I do not think that TikTok would be banned because I don't see any problems with it. I use TikTok but not to often, I use it sometimes though. I think TikTok is safe to use and I don't see any reason that people think it is unsafe but maybe something is going on with it that I don't know of and it truly is unsafe.

• I do not think that TikTok should be banned because it is the app on my phone that I use the most. I think that you determine if it is safe for you to use or not. Some people are not very smart when using the app so it becomes dangerous for people.  

• I agree. TikTok is also my most used app.

• I don't really have strong opinion on if TikTok should or shouldn't be banned because I don't have it. However, I think TikTok is pretty similar to lots of other social media platforms, so if TikTok is banned, I wouldn't be surprised if other social platforms are banned too.

• I agree. Most social media apps are all the same.

• `I think Tik Tok should be left here and not be banned and ik some videos aren't good to watch but a lot is helpful on this app. I don't use Tik Tok much at all and I don't have a account for Tik Tok. I think it is safe to use it isn't really a bad app.

• I agree. TikTok shouldn't be banned. 

• I think that I should be kept because there are a lot of small business that depend on Tik Tok to sell stuff and is they ban it then those business won't be able to sell, I do use Tik Tok but not that often. I think Tik Tok is completly safe to use.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker