Should There be Assigned Seats in Lunch?

Should there be assigned seats in lunch?

Should there be assigned seats in lunch? This topic can be seen from multiple views. In a poll done by The Neersyde, they discovered that 59% of students said that assigned seating helps them connect with other students who they usually don't talk to. 60% said that it helps them make new friends. On the other hand, 88% said that assigned seating should not continue. We will explore the pros and cons. 

First, we will be exploring the pros. Students who don’t have a friend group or many friends in that lunch might feel more included because they don’t have to worry about finding someone to sit with. Assigned seating also allows students to meet and talk to some people who they might not normally have a conversation with. For lunchroom supervisors it might prevent the lunch room from getting to loud or crazy because it will not be big groups of friends sitting together. 

Next, let's look at the cons. First of all, students can't sit with their friends. Lunch is one of the only times of the day where students get a chance to talk to their friends who they might not have classes with. Another con with assigned seating is that some students might not get along, especially in highschool, there can be lots of problems between students. In addition, some students would rather not talk to people that they don't know. 

I think that students in highschool should not have to have assigned seating. I feel that students should have the 25 minutes to talk to their friends who they might not have any classes with. In my opinion, there are good reasons to have a seating chart, but I believe the cons outweigh the pros. 

Do you think highschool should have a seating chart for lunch?

How would you feel if the administration assigned a seating chart?

What is your opinion on students who aren't following the rules getting moved to different tables?

https://sn56.scholastic.com/pages/promotion/navigationlps/100322/debate-should-your-lunchroom-have-assigned-seating.html?language=english

https://neersyde.com/7877/news/students-have-mixed-feelings-about-mandatory-lunch-seating/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that we should ahve aseating chart because one of the main issues I have with the free sitting is people stealing other peoples spot. I think that it is very annoying we someone staels my spot, because I knwo that I have been sitting there for the entire year, and if they steal my stop I have to go find another by people I don't know. I think that the seating chart should be wherever you sit the first day, that's your spot for the rest of the year.

• I think that if we were to get a seating chart it would be random by people that you don't know, not by your friends. 

• I personaly belive highschoolers would be better off with their own choice for sitting. I enjoy getting to sit with my friends and talk to them over talking to some i might either hate with a pation, or just honestly have nothing in commin with the person i am sitting by.

• I agree. In middle school sometimes I had to sit by some people that either I didn't like or they didn't talk much.

• No I don't think highschoolers should have a seating chart for lunch. I wouldn't like if the administration assigned seats because it's the only time I get to see my friends and talk to them during the school day. I think that if there are certian students not following rules at lunch they should have to have lunch detention. 

• I agree. Lunch is one of the noly times where we get to talk to our friends who we don't have classes with.

• I think we should not get a seating chart at lunch because lunch is the only time you get to talk to our friends besides out of school. I would hate it if the administration made us have a assigned seating.

• I agree. Lunch is the only time that we get to talk to our friends during the school day. I would also be mad if we got assigned seats. 

• I do not think high school should have assigned seating at lunch. I dont even think middle schoolers should have assigned seats/tables. In school, one of the only times you can talk with your friends who you don't have in classes is during lunch. I would not like if we had assigned seating.

• I agree. I didn't mind it in middle school, but in highschool I would not like it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker