Should There be an Age Limit on Energy Drinks?

Many teens, myself included, have gotten really used to drinking energy drinks fairly often. But should teens be able to drink them freely? Many people have concerns. The 4 major side effects of energy drinks are anxiety, dehydration, insomnia, and heart complications. Heart complications include irregular heartbeat or even heart failure.

In 2011, 1499 teens were rushed to the ER because of an energy drink related emergency. More than 10 percent of these ER visits resulted in those teens being hospitalized. Many energy drink brands target their ads towards kids aged 13-18. As a result, these teens are influenced to drink these. Many schools even have energy drinks in vending machines, giving teens an even easier access to energy drinks. Parents are also uneducated on how risky it is having young children drink these drinks, especially the ones that have sugar in them.

So how do energy drink companies defend themselves? Many companies say that a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts has more sugar and caffeine than their drinks. The difference is that energy drinks use artificial sources for caffeine, which have been proven to be more dangerous than natural caffeine sources. Many health research centers have concluded that children should consume no caffeine at all.

In my opinion, I think that the age limit for energy drinks should be 16. At that age, many teens are full grown or close to it. The major concern of teens drinking energy drinks is because they are smaller than adults, but many teens, girls especially, are full grown by 16. Also, energy drinks can help teens focus better in school, so they should be able to consume them in moderation.

Questions:

Do you drink energy drinks? If so, how often?

Do you think there should be an age limit for energy drinks?

Sources:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/scientists-say-energy-drinks-ads-shouldnt-target-teens/592657/ 

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/nutrition/energy.htm 

https://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2020/atp-energy-drinks 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, energy drinks can actually be very beneficial if you drink them in moderation, it is the people who drink 3-4 a day that have a lot of health issues.

• I don't think we should make energy drinks illegal for a certain age, but maybe if you make it illegal for people under 13 to buy them it would be beneficial. A kid could occasionally have an energy drink but only if their parent bought it for them and lets them.

• I agree, if parents are fine with their kids consuming energy drinks, they should be allowed to drink them. They just shouldn't be able to buy them by themselves.

• I  don't  drink  energy  drinks.   I  think  that  there  should  be  a  limit  kids  drinking  energy  drinks  just  because  teens  normally  don't get the right amount of sleep on school days  and they could be losing sleep because they won't get sleep on weekends.

• I've had a couple of energy drinks in my entire life. I don't think little kids should have energy drinks, they can be hyper enough as it is. Its already not good for adults, it would be dangerous for little kids. I think the age limit should be 15.

• I do not drink energy drinks at all, but I do not think there should be an age limit for them. Kids often know the effects energy drinks can have on them and it is their choice if they want to take the chances of bad things possibly happening to them.

• I do see your point, but the big issue is that kids drink these drinks because they don't know the risks that come with them.

• I think there should be a age limit to buying energy drinks so little kids dont over drink them bacuse it does cause a lot of problems for a growing body and they arent good for heath in genral for young kids. The age limit should be 14+ or maybe just 16+ because of the addiction it can cuse. I do drink energy drinks myself for times I have to get up early in morning now im not saying I have one every morning before school im just saying it depends on the sleep I get.

• I agree, I have energy drinks at least a couple days a week and they can help me get through the school day.

• I think that the age limit should be 15 or 16. I don't really like to drink energy drinks because I know how bad they are for the body. I will occasionally have an energy drink in the morning but if I drink one it might be on a day I am going to do a max on a lift.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker