Should The U.S. have left Afghanistan and abandoned their equipment

On August 30th, 2021 the American forces that were stationed in Afghanistan were taken out and sent back to America or stationed somewhere else. The U.S. had been trying to get out of Afghanistan for quite a while and finally accomplished that after talking with the Taliban to make deals. But, whilst we left and the Taliban obeyed the deal the U.S. left in my opinion way too many things behind. 

For example the U.S.left over 80 billion dollars worth of equipment in Afghanistan for the Taliban to use at their own will. Although this is not all on America as they had been training the Afghan forces for quite some time and when they finally left the Afghans basically gave up. Which in return allowed for the Taliban to take over the whole country fairly quickly. Most or all of the equipment that was left in Afghanistan was for the Afghans and by giving up the Taliban now has over 80 billion dollars worth of equipment.

I believe that it was a bad idea to spend that much money on Afghanistan in the first place as the U.S. has used over 5 trillion dollars in total on the Afghan forces, U.S. forces, equipment, and many other things. I think that the U.S. could have at least taken most of their equipment and left the Afghan forces some but I don't’ think they need 80 billion dollars worth of equipment to fight a army of 75,000 men. 

Do you think the U.S. should have pulled out their troops and left their equipment?

Do you agree that the U.S. shouldn’t have used 5 trillion in Afghanistan?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done overall Braydon! Be sure to work on a better title as it's a bit lengthy and also better questions(stay away from yes/no questions). Also be sure to cite your sources.

• The US definitely shouldn't have wasted to much money on a war that superceded the death of the instigator of 9-11. We should have pulled out several years ago. It's weird that a war was older than me, even with the dwindeling support for the war over the past few years.

• I think that it was time after such a long war to pull our troops out of Afghanistan but I don't think we should have left all the equipment that we did. Although we spent all that money on Afghanistan trying to help them I don't think we should have just gave them all that we did.

• I think we should have got our equipment out of there first because if we went into another war we would be fighting against our own equiment becuase the Taliban have it and it would be a blood bath if we tried fighting them again. The U.S. should not have used so much money on a war that was never won, we should have given up on a long time ago.

• I do not think that the U.S. should have pulled their troops before they removed all of their equipment. This is a terible decision I think because it is just a waste of money. I belive that the United States should be able to use as much money as they want if it involves the safety of the U.S.

• Trying to evacuate was already an issue in of itself, it seems like a pro and con situation. The pros being if we leave the equipment we have a better chance of getting out. However, if we decide to leave them there is a possibility that the enemy gain a grasp on them and we revert all the progress we made. There was no way we could have known the Afghan government would give up so easily. Dumping 5 trillion dollars into something isn't a very good idea especially when you don't know the outcome, especially when the results can vary a ton, but I guess go big or go home.

• I am trying to see from the President Joe Biden's perspective, and trying to justify the reason of him, leaving Afghanistan in the middle of a Taliban crisis. Only thing i can imagined is he assumed that they spent too much time and money on this conflict, which he is not wrong, but if i were a responsible i would just make sure that my weapons won't be used by the enemy when i get out.

• I think that the US had every reason to pull out of Afghan, but they should not have left all that equipment behind. The US is already in debut and leaving all that equipment behind doesn't help. I think the US could have used so much less money on the Afghan War and still come out on top.

• I don't think we should have left so much equipment over there.  That is millions of dollars we left there.  But the worst part is now they have that stuff.  I think we should have stayed a little bit longer to get some stuff out of that country.  But I think there is a lot we do not know about that whole situation.  We tried to help them but it didn't work very well.  Now we lost a lot of money and equipment.

• I do think we it was a good idea to pull our troops from afghanistan but i think we could have done it a lot smoother. I understand it isn't easy to get all of that equipment back to the united states but i think we could have used more time to get more of our equipment back. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker