Should the drinking age be lowered?

Many people say proponents of lowering the minimum legal drinking age from 21 will not change what will happen. Many argue that the legal drinking age of 21 will not stop teens from drinking, and will it ever stop teens from drinking? It has been pushed for underage binge drinking in private and less controlled environments According to MLDA, underage drinking can be dangerous, as teenagers may not yet have the ability to handle alcohol responsibly. This increases the risk of harming themselves or others, even resulting in fatalities. Therefore, it is recommended not to drink alcohol before the age of 21.

The legal drinking age was changed from 18 to 21 in 1984. When it was used by young people it had many problems like traffic crashes, drownings, vandalism, assaults, homicides, suicides, teenage pregnancies, and sexually transmitted diseases. Between 1970 and 1975 29 States lowered the MLDA to the ages 18,19,  and 20. This change happened when the voting age was lowered. Evidence shows that by lowering the drinking age there were more traffic crashes among youth. 

I think that it should be lowered to 18 because we can vote. An if we have to go fight in a war why can't we have maybe our last drink with our families for when we say goodbye because who knows what is going to happen today, tomorrow, or in a year? We will never know what our future may hold so why can't we live our lives the way we want? 

What do you think should the drinking age be lowered or should it stay the same? Why or Why not?

Should the Drinking Age Be Lowered in the US? 13 Pros and Cons, https://drinkingage.procon.org/. Accessed 6 February 2024.

“The Minimum Legal Drinking Age - PMC.” NCBI, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6876521/. Accessed 6 February 2024.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the dringking age could be lowered as long as our country does a better job of regulating alcohol used safety. For example, many European countries have a lower drinking age but less alcohol related issues like car accidents. This is becuase they have more serious restrictions on drinking and driving.

• I think the drinking age should stay the way it is.  I think that if the drinking age was lowered then kids would start drinking when they are younger. Changing the age won't solve underage drinking. This could affect their lives in terrible ways.

• I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 becasue once you hit 18 years old you are officaily an adult. Yes it does have risks but once you are an adult you should be able to choose if you should drink or if you shouldn't Also I feel like there isn't a really huge change from 18 to 21. 

• I don't think that the drinking age should be lowered. If we were to lower the drinking age, I think that there would be many more problems in college with everyone legal to drink. I think this would also lead to kids buying their underage friends drinks while still in highschool.

• I don't think it should be lowered. 21 is our legal drinking age, yet 16-year-olds still do it, Once we lower it to 17 or 18, it makes it seem acceptable for 12 or 13-year-olds to start drinking. We would also let irresponsible high schoolers be able to purchase drinks for friends, and underclassmen. This can cause serious damage to communities, and kids' lives. 

• I think it should be the same because people don't stop growing until then and if people start drinking to early it could cause the brain to not develop fully as well as if they were younger they may give it to there friends who arent allowed to drink yet.

• I think the drinking age should be lowered because in almost all the other countries it is 18 years old

• I think that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 because that is when you are officially considered an "adult". Though there are some adults that do not drink responsibility I think that we should lower the age with knowing that most adults have good intentions.

• I don't think the drinking age should be lowered because so many kids could be unresopnsable and could kill themselves if they don't know how to drink resopnsable and I think they could go out and drive and kill other people. 

• I think its fine where its at because if it was lowered I feel like younger people would use irresponsibally.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker