Should teens have to wear seatbelts?

Having to wear seatbelts hasn’t always been a law. It wasn’t until 1959 when Congress passed a law requiring that all cars must have something for safety. Lap belts were what people would usually choose but in accidents you had the potential to cause separation of the lumbar vertebrae. By 1965 all states had laws to require seat belts in vehicles.

The seatbelt design that is used today was created by a Swedish engineer Nils Bohlin in 1959. People's opinions opposed to seatbelts claims that “As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not to use safety belts is wise.” Ralph Nader published his best selling book in 1965 ‘Unsafe at any Speed’. A decade later nearly 40,000 people died in the US from car accidents. 

“Ineffective, inconvenient and uncomfortable” are the thoughts of drivers that participated in a survey in 1985. People would go as far as cutting the seatbelts out. In my opinion I think for the people's safety and yours in the car you should wear one. If you are alone in your car I guess it’s really up to you but I still think it’s a good thing to have a law on seat belts.

Do you think we should be required to wear seatbelts?

Do you think that teans should have to wear seatbelts in the back like adults?

From Scorn to Worn: The curious history of seat belts > Columbus Air Force Base > Article Display.

The History of Seatbelts from Transfinder.

A Seat Belt History Timeline - Your AAA Network

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think teenagers should be required to wear steabelts. Its better to be safe than sorry. Its not like its that big of a deal. Plus It keeps you safe from any accidents that may happen. 

• I think teens should. I feel everyone should where a seatbelt. Its better being  safe than sorry. Plus its not a big deal to wear a seatbelt. It doesnt hurt us. 

• Yes I agree i think people over exaggerate about is they are uncomfortable. They really arent that bad and if the car owner really thinks that then they can buy cusions to go on their seatbelt.

• I personally believe that the law was created to help keep teens and adults from harm, but I think that it is dumb that adults are able to not wear seatbelts while it is a law for us to wear them. I think that they sould be able to not wear them but know they are risking their life.

• I think everyone should be required to wear seatbelts because it is safer for everyone on the road. A lot of people are saved everyday because they wore their seatbelts. Without seatbelts, someone could be thrown out of the car 20-40 feet depending on how fast they were going.

• Yes I think that teans should be required to wear seatbelts because they do save lives and I have had a family member who has been saved by a seatbelt. I think that if you are an adult that thne you should be able to not ware a seat belt but for teans they should wear them.

• I disagree that if you are an adult because they can still get hurt or hurt someone else in the car the same as a teen.

• I think that teens should be required to wear a seat belt. Although it may be annoying to have to put it on every time you're in the car it is much safer just to put it on. Even in the back I think they should have to wear seat belts. When you get in a crash anyone who isn't buckled is like a bullet in the car.

• I agree with you that teens should be required to wear a seat belt. Even if it is not confortable it provides safety and prevents many deaths and injuries in car accidents. I also think that people in the car should wear them. 

• Yes, I think everyone should be required to wear seatbelts no matter what. Teens and adults should both be wearing seatbelts in the back seat. Even when there are so many statistics and so much evidence that you are more likely to die in a car crash without a seatbelt I don't know why people would choose not to wear one and why there's a law saying that adults don't have to in the back seat. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker