Should teachers get a pay raise?

From public to private schools, teachers get paid around 9-38 dollars per hour with an average of 14. That can vary from teacher to teacher, depending on education, additional skills, years of experience, and certifications. Cities pay teachers more than small towns like Harlan however, since there are more schools and most likely more kids to teach. I work at Dairy Queen and I get paid $8 an hour. That's only one less than the minimum and I didn't go to college or anything. I just applied and I got the job, and its much easier than being a teachef I imagine. Especially if they're high schoolers because most of them act like mischevious elementary kids. Literally the most immature people you'll ever know.

I feel generally sorry for the teachers and people that known them, because they don't get paid enough to deal with them. However there are teachers that just ignore them, doesn't mean that they try to make them more upset. I mean honestly I can't be the only one that things they aren't funny, to be a teacher is genuinely hard and all they do is make it harder. It makes teachers assume that most kids are like this and that they don't do anything but fool around. They aren't our parents though, we have rights too. Just as much as teachers do. There's been laws throughout history that prevents or promotes discipline. whether that's physical or emotional. 

But that's not our topic. According to indeed, High school teachers in Harlan make a minimum 42k per year. Which really isn't that bad considering the fact that the highest teacher salary is in maryland and that's $61,254 each year. But it's still not good enough for as much as they have to deal with. As my mom would say, you couldn't pay me enough to be a high school teacher and deal with as many idiots as there are in this school. No offense of course, there are the good people in the school too. Anyway back to our topic, the reason why teachers are so underpaid is because of how low-funded American school and education is. Apparently, salary increases don't seem to be in the question for teachers so the problem just keeps coming up. 

Some people might argue, "well why are they teachers then?" they're teachers because they want to teach people. Not deal with immaturity, keep that in mind. The teachers have been open about how underpaid they are and how much work they put in for so little back. So what do you think about teacher salary, should they get a pay raise or not?

Sites:

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/public-school-teacher-hourly-wages

https://www.zippia.com/answers/why-do-teachers-get-paid-so-little/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Personally, I do think teachers should receive a higher salary. I think it would make them better teachers, to be honest. If they get paid more, they teach better. Also, I think being a teacher can have its ups and downs, it seems like a really hard job, after all, you are teaching kids for their future, we kids are the teacher's future, so they have to teach us well. 

• I think that the teachers should get a pay raise because there are more disrespectful and annoying kids now a days. They also have to take money out of their accounts to buy supplies for their classromms and that can become more expensive as inflation goes up. 

• I think teachers should get a pay raise because they teach students that will eventually most likely lead to a more successful job. They deal with a lot of trouble that students give them and they don't get paid enough money to put up with it. 

• I think that teachers should get a pay rise. They have to deal with annoying kids all day and plan everything out. While grading papers, making lessons. But I think that teachers who get a lot of compliants should be thought about twice to determine if they deserve it. 

• I think that teachers should get a pay rise. They have a big impact on students and they are teaching the future generations. Teachers do so much work that we as students don't always know about. In my view, they definetly deserve more money. 

• I agree some teachers should get payed more depending on what they are teaching and how many hours there spending on teaching there class. I also think though that people that are going to college to be a teacher know what there getting themselves in for and how hard it's going to be and maybe not making a whole lot of money.

• Teachers should get a payed more. yes, there the ones that choose to be in that job, but no one would be where they are at right now in today if they didnt learn or now what you learned in school because of them. Just think you wouldnt now how to right, read, history, our goverment sestem, or what you would might want to do with your life. wouldn't know anything in any job you would go in. no one would be anywhere without teachers. 

• Teachers might not get paid very much, but they also chose to  have a teaching job, and know what they are signing up for. I know that they sometimes have to supply their own things for the kids, and that might not be great for their wallets. I think that they should either choose to fight for better pay, or just not say anything about it because they are choosing to work as a teacher, and we do live in a small town. Which means that there aren't going to be big pay checks usually. 

• I think teachers should definitely get a pay raise. Teachers do so much work and should deserve more money for it. They teach students, they take care of them, they buy supplies with their own money, etc. Teachers should get more money for their work, and if teachers' salaries were to rise, there wouldn't be a shortage of teachers.

• I think that teachers should get paid more. They work a lot every week and sometimes they stay after school to get work done. I know some teachers have to do some asignments at their house. With all of this they dont get paid eneough for it and should get a good pay raise.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker