Should students have to put their phones in the pouches?

Since the start of last year, students have been required to put their phones into a phone pouch. Previously, students had the freedom to keep their phones in their backpacks and occasionally have them out. Now some teachers will not even start class until every student has put their phone in their assigned pouch. Many students are very frustrated with this sudden rule change, however some teachers beg to differ. Should this rule stay or be revoked?

There are many pros to this rule change in the school. Many schools around the world have different and unique ways for phones to be detained from students during class time. A common reason for why schools should forbid phones is for cheating opportunities. Many students can try to cheat with their phones during tests. Many students these days are trying to cheat on tests, or simply not pay attention in class at all. Phones can cause many problems in the classroom. But can the teacher stop this problem without taking away every student's phone before class starts? 

Everyday before class starts, you can see students walking to their assigned phone pouch to put their phones in. Many students simply don’t like putting their phones in the pouches. A student could easily argue the fact that they might need their phone during class. What if there is a school lockdown? The school has taught that during a lockdown, every door is locked, and students continue class as usual. However, it is clear that many parents will want to be in contact with their child to know that they are safe. But parents will not be able to be in contact with their child if they don’t have their phone. A child/student could grab their phone at the end of class and see 3 missed phone calls from their parents. In case of an emergency in any way, should students be allowed to carry their phones during class?

After lots of researching, I believe that it is very important that students should be allowed to have their phones in their possession. Afterall, the school does not own our phones. So why should they get to keep us from having our phones? I believe that students should be allowed to have their phones during class at all times. It is a student's privilege to acquire their phones in any situation and this rule needs to be revoked immediately.   

Should students have to put their phones in the pouches? 

Should there be a punishment if a student is on their phone?

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/should-public-schools-ban-cell-phones 

https://learnsafe.com/student-cell-phones-in-school-crisis-situations-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that students should not have to put their phones in phone pouches because you arent going to be on you phone in the middle of class unless you are checking the time but not even for that. I think that their should be a punishment for students being on their phones when they are not supposed to be on their phones but other than that I think that you should be able to have your phone in your pocket because highschool is teaching us about the real world and getting us ready but when your working they wont expect you to put up your phone and then get it back at the end of the day.

• I feel like their are certain cituations were having your in your bag would be benifical because in case of emergncy you don't have to spend extra time getting your phone from a cabnet. 

• I agree, this is why students need to have their phones near them and not in the pouches. So if something were to happen, they have their phone right there. 

• I don't think that students should have to put their phones in the puches before class starts because it is showing responsibility by not using it during class. I think that if we are being taught to take responsibility for our actions, than we should be allowed to have our phones and if we violate the classroom policy than the next actions should be taken. I think if a student is caught on their phone when they are not supposed to be the first time the student is told to put it away. Next time they should have to put it in a pouch on the teachers desk and can't get it back unti lthe end of class. 

• I agree, they should not be aloud to automatically enforce rules when we did not even do anything wrong at the start of class. 

• I don't think students should have to put their phones in the pockets. I think we should be trusted enough to have our phones in our bags. I understand the reasoning behind it but I think you could still have consequences if you are on your phone during class. 

• I just don't understand why teachers can't just trust us with some things. We are 14-18. We are responsible young adults, we know when to be on our phones and when not to. At least most of us do. 

• I think students should not put their phone in the pouches because if one of your parents have to get ahold of you then at least you would have your phone on you. I think there shouldn't be a puishment if a student is on their phone.

• I can agree with you, however if a student is being disruptive on their phone and being loud, it would be okay if they make you put your phone in the pocket. I think that phone pockets should only be for punishment. 

• I think that if teachers trust their students they should let them keep them with them. Or in their backpacks, as long as it isn't out I don't think most teachers care. But if it's out you even if the students are hiding them, teachers can clearly see that. If they are on their phone they should just ask them to put it away and if they see it agian they'll take it till the end of class. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker