Should Students be able to Choose Which Classes They Take?

Would you rather take a class that you enjoy and will use to your advantage in the future or take a class to fulfill set requirements in order to complete highschool? In my opinion, students should be able to choose which academic courses they take based on their interests. Most students already have the opinion that taking subjects like history, math, science, and English are unnecessary because they won't use what they learn later in life. For example, a student who is looking to pursue becoming a children’s therapist shouldn’t have to take math classes through highschool; They should be able to take a class that is related to that career.

If students are given the opportunity to choose classes that they enjoy or better understand, they will be more eager to learn and are more likely to engage in the material. In addition, engaging in class more often will result in better grades and an overall better GPA because they’re more comfortable and better understand the topic. This would also decrease the dropout rate and students would be less likely to have to repeat a class or a grade. Many students fail classes just becaust they don't understand the subject or aren't interested in it so it's hard for them to focus in class. Some may think that there aren’t enough teachers to teach such a variety of courses, but many classes can be taught online or through colleges.

Another argument may be that if students choose not to take certain subjects, they’ll never get a basic understanding of that topic. However, students who are not good at a subject or just don’t like it in general are never going to get a full understanding of it if they don’t like the class. In addition, certain requirements can be set to limit this. Examples of this could be not being able to choose your classes until you reach highschool, being required to take classes that involve certain life skills sometime throughout high school, having a limit to how many extracurricular classes you can take (like art, music, or PE), and more. I believe students should have a choice as to what classes they take throughout high school with certain requirements because they will have a higher engagement level, will have better grades, and will have a better understanding of the subjects they’re taking. 

Questions:

1. Do you think that students should be able to choose their academic classes?
  2. What do you want as your future career?
  3. If you were given a larger variety of classes to choose from, what classes would you be interested in taking for your future career?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also think that the core classes are very important to students. There should definitely be more extra classes for students to take.

• Yes, and no. Personally, I feel like we should all take the 4 core classes up until our sophomore year, then in junior year, we should be able to choose what we want to learn. Because whatever we choose to learn will affect what we do in the future. I want to be an oral hygenist or an orthodontist. I would want more classes involving the human body, and how it works. ( Science Classes)Or more classes with History, literature, and English. 

• I partially agree with you. That would also be a good idea because when you get to your junior year, you're more likely to have an idea of what you want to do in the future. 

• I think that studnets should have the choice to pick their extra classes but not so much the acedemic because some of the classes we need in highschool we need to graduate. So I think that for academic classes our counslers should be able to pick them.

• If students were given the option to choose there classes, then the system would be changed so that there aren't certain required classes for graduation. But it's still nice for students to be able to pick some extra classes.

• A lot of our classes we are required to take even if we like it or not, but I think we should be able to choose a coupke classes so it maybe gives us the oppertunity to be with some of our friends, but even when you sign up for a class you want like Child development, pe, mentoring, etc. you get put in it

• I agree with you. Students should be given more options, but it's nice that we get the opportunity to take some different electives.

• I think that students should be able to choose their academic classes, but to a certain extent. Lots of the classes that students are required to take are important for their adult life, and they shouldn't miss out on it. Students should be able to pick out what classes they want to do, along with the required ones. I do not know what I want to do as a career.

• I partially agree with you. I think that some classes should be required, but not all of the classes that are required now. Not all classes will be used in the future but many are still important. 

• Yes, I think we should be able to chose are academic classes, In my future career I want to go into law inforcment. I dont know specifictly what classes I would take but I would choose a class and take it to get better in law inforcement.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker